My chin doesn't really chew...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I adopted Princess Fawn last month and at first she chewed everything. She even chewed a hole into the pants that I was wearing! But lately it seems like she's just not very interested in anything other than escaping into my closet or under my bed. I bought her loofah chews and apple sticks, but she only seems to be interested in them for a few seconds before tossing them to the side. Am I doing something wrong?

Do you leave the chews in her cage for her even though she tosses them to the side?!
When Maggie wants a treat she will beg for one and if I give her a loofah or stick instead she takes it from me and throws it on the floor. So I'll just put it in her cage in her old wooden hay holder which i use to keep her sticks and chews in. Sort of like a toybox lol. As soon as she realizes she's not getting a treat she will go over and get the stick and chew on it.
When she goes into your closet or under your bed is she chewing on anything?
I know when Maggie escapes to anywhere she tries to chew on anything....the heater...the wall. It makes me nervous she will chew somthing bad for her. I have taught her now to not come out and jump into the floor. Instead when I open the door if she wants to come out she will first jump onto me,my arm my shoulder my leg,but she does not jump onto floor. She jumps on me and then I bring her into the bathroom for her play time.
I guess I can't really say I taught her but that she taught herself. Mostly because when she use to jump to the floor shed get put right back in her cage.

Is she eating , pooping , and drinking ok ? My chin will play with a stick for a few then throw them away but as soon as I turn my back she is chibbling away ...shes does a lot of chewing at night lol .....you may also try using different safe woods I know my chin does not like a lot of the pet store stuff with the exception of willow sticks...

So apparently i bought the wrong brand! She only likes the apple sticks that come in the blue packaging and not the brown (the sticks looked the same to me! :p ) I've since shoved a bunch of blankets and clothes under my bed to create a barrier. I'm considering buying some chicken wire or something and stapling it to my box spring so that she cant dig through my clothes and get under there (unless someone has a better solution? please? i kind of hate this solution) She does chew on the wood in my box spring which concerns me since i don't know what that's made of, but luckily she doesn't chew on any wires anymore. The only wire that she tries to 'floss' with is that tiny wire that connects the sensor bar to my Wii.
Chinchilla proofing is hard, i don't know how you all do it. I've thought about playing with her in the bathroom, but with the amount of out of cage time that we have together mixed with the fact that my house has one bathroom and five residents (six? does she count?) it's really not practical.

i bought pine planks to put up around my bed so they can't go under it. then i used the spare pieces to block off the parts of the wall they seem to want to chew (my room doesn't have baseboards).

small gaps i stuffed with fleece, and things i don't want them to chew i wrapped or covered with fleece. this may require keeping an eye out though, my elena figured out pretty quickly how to pull on the fleece to work it out of the place she wanted to go.

i hope this helps!

Back