My Chin Barn...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

threewingedfury

<3 BIG and Blocky <3
For those of you who aren't friends of mine on FB - here are photos of my completed chin barn from start to finish. I'm so in love with it, I just have to brag. No one knows how badly I wanted this thing, and I surely needed it!

DSC_0222.jpg

DSC_0235.jpg

DSC_0233.jpg

DSC_0249.jpg

DSC_0245.jpg

It did, didn't it? It was very low budget, as I'm sure you can tell. I wanted to use tileboard for the walls, but painting was cheaper by a long shot. I think I spent $90 on paint for the entire building and the tileboard for the ceiling was $220 alone, so the walls would have been much worse. My grandfather messed up the floor because he didn't put enough vinyl adhesive down, so I have to be careful with rolling cages across the floor. Besides that, it turned out nice and it's beyond easy to clean. I'm in love with my homemade window. The chins can admire the firewood - they think it's large apple sticks ;-)

Last edited:
Hehe... after I looked at the photo I took, not expecting the wood to even show, I thought about how horrible of a mom I am for making my chins look at large logs of wood that appear to be small wood sticks to them from afar. I'm sure they plot to figure out who will escape first to get the mighty wood sticks ;-)

That is a beautiful room! I have have this dream house in my head and have things in it like built in bookshelves in my library, bay windows, patios, etc...recently my dream house has sprouted a new room--> the chin room. And I know who to go to for help now!!!

Just out of curiosity what is the tileboard for ?

It's slick and easy to clean, whereas painted walls can stain easily and have to be painted over. Tileboard doesn't have to be painted, it stays white. You can also use dry erase markers on the walls - pretty neat ;-)

Awesome that you got it finished! I keep looking at your photos and thinking I could never survive with a shop-vac that small... heh.

I like the method of putting tileboard on the ceiling, that stuff is a pain in the butt.

For the floor - super glue and gorilla glue are your best friend. :D Even though I treated the heck out of mine and put down extra adhesive they still buckle when it gets very cold/hot. I just go around and glue them down again. Been doing it for a year now and they're finally staying put.

Last edited:
It's been finished for almost a month now. I'm thinking about bringing the shop vac back - it stops up every 5 seconds now that the filter isn't so new.

I'll work on the floor though, it's getting on my nerves.

Wow, what an incredibly nice barn for all your chins! I can almost feel how excited you would have been as it was being built, lol.

Back