My chin as my suprise therapy pet

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shenanigans

some of you may know my username- I was quite active on here and was selling sticks for a while and then got really sick. i can't express enough how much my chin helped me through everything. I got to a point where the toll of my illness exhausted me so i was basically bedridden (and getting very depressed). Every morning before my guy would go to work, he would bring Yuki in for me while he got ready, then took him back when i got a kiss goodbye. I couldn't continue with school or work. Houses get pretty lonely. Sure i had family and friends- but they have work and families and lives too. Getting up to going to my chin room to see Yuki and feed and clean up was about my extent of exercise as well as my companionship during the day. it may sound pathetic to healthy people, but that little bit of something kept up my willpower. The daily reason to actually force whatever energy I had into getting up helped me from getting worse and helped me gradually get better.
A lot of people in my life don't see chinchillas as family. My parents' and my sister's dogs are family and will come to our weekly family dinner, but somehow a chinchilla is put more into a pet fish category in their minds- oh that's nice to look at but doesn't have the same level of emotional connection. My grandma gets confused why I would even want one until I remind her she feeds squirrels out side and try to say it's kind of like that.
It's difficult that the only reason I may be as okay as i am today is...devauled?... by many people in my life. Without my chin to go see and interact with I wouldn't have put nearly so much effort into moving around as I did and continue to do.
Because of my illness I wasnt able to do anything. Well, now I still have pain if i overexert myself and i'm winded easily. It makes even going grocery shopping a exhausting chore. i'm slowly getting better (sitting in his room for playtime more, and carrying him on "chin walks" to see the house and out the windows) I even went to my first chinshow in Jan. (Chin shows are amazing you guys- everyone's so friendly- I definitely recommend it.) I seem to come up with more energy for chin-related stuff. :) I hope to start makeing fleece items and maybe even makeing sticks again. Fleece sewing shouldn't take too much effort but, Im not sure about tromping around outside to get sticks. While I normally love snow, i tend to over-do it and set myself back.
Whatever Im going through, Yuki's there. It's an amazing comfort and it's hard to articulate exactly how he helps. (and dont worry for him, my guy has been there through every step when i learned about chins and has been hands-on so he knows what to do- and i remind him all the time just in case) Yuki and I continue to get closer and we're working on tricks while its just us two at home. 1/8 of his daily cherrio at a time. (although occasionally he gets so excited about it he forgets tricks he already knows-like if i knock on a shelf to hop to that spot, he just is stuck in place straining his fluffy chubby self toward the treat he doesnt understand he just has to hop up one ledge like normal)
This is fairly long, and im not sure if I got my intended point across, or any other points. Basically Yuki's awesome and I dont know where I'd be without him. Regardless of the fact he's small and must be contained in a cage for his own protection from the stuff he'd try to chew. And a huge thank you to everyone at the Michigan-in-ohio show :) You all were awesome and it was a great time.

I can fully understand your attachment to your chins. Im closer to mine then most of my remaining family. And they were great to have when i became disabled. Other ppl never get it. They don't care about things unless its theirs or happening to them. My mother will start *****ing if we look at her dogs with an expression on our face that she doesn't like (literally) but looks at the chins as just some creature taking up room. Ppl are idiots'

I too prefer my chinchillas and other pets to most people. I prefer the company of animals to people any day, with the exception of a few. Spending time with chins has a wonderfully therapeutic effect. :)

My mom and I really are in love with chinchillas and have a very powerful connection with bandit (My youngest chinchilla) some other family members may say a few other things such as "You should have gotten a puppy" or "A rodent!?!" But we tend to ignore those words. I to, understand that bond you share with your chin. Keep Yuki close to you in a very special place in your heart as you get better. ❤☺

Aw what an endearing story. I'm the same way - to get through a really tough day, week, month, or year.. chinchilla sessions are a must. I have to hope they get some level of comfort from spending time with their human, too.

I totally agree. I used to own gerbils and when they passed nobody understood why I was upset, "they were just gerbils" after all...
People ask me why I got a chinchilla when I could have got a CUTE pet! The cheek!

I also feel that no one in my life understands about my chinchillas. My boyfriend doesn't like how messy they are and my mother and brother just don't concern themselves with them at all unless I'm out of town and they have to feed them. It's kind of lonely being the only chin person I know. That's one reason I like this forum. Its nice to just read through posts and know there are other people out there whose chins are more than just pets.

I love chinchillas! I love all animals, but, there is something about chins that makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. :heart5: And they really are a relaxing pet! I too prefer them (and my other pets) to most people.

It is fun being able to handmade your own items for you chin. It's nice to see them enjoying something that you made, plus it's fun! Lol I just wish in had a sewing machine, hand sewing takes me ages.

Lol I just wish in had a sewing machine, hand sewing takes me ages.
try checking out a thrift store nearby, ones near me get them in every once in a while and are usually just $10-15. They aren't the fancy ones that do all sorts of embroidery but they work for sewing normal stuff. Google machines if you aren't familiar with them so you can sort of check out if all the parts are there, and hope they have their manual with them (thats less likely). I've got my mom's machine from when she was 20- Its still working fine, just without all the extra feature new machines can have. Every once in a while all machines have a tempertantrum and you have to figure out if the tension knob got turned or if the bobbin holder is clogged with lint or whats up and the manuals can be helpful with that- once you know the machine you can either figure out yourself or google usually turns up what to check. I grew up with my machine- I think I could take apart and put the whole **** thing back together.

Welcome back, Shenanigans :) my chin helps me too, he's someone that needs me every day so I have to take care of myself in order to take care of him so I can't hide from the world.

Welcome back, Shenanigans :) my chin helps me too, he's someone that needs me every day so I have to take care of myself in order to take care of him so I can't hide from the world.

That's exactly it. :) It's so nice that you guys get this stuff

Back