my boy frequently “examines” his privates

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maeryn.k.b

my new chin Mochi is about 6 months - 1 year. i assume he’s around 9 months. i noticed recently that he keeps sitting on his hind legs in order to pay extra attention to his private parts. should i be worried? he also frequently humps my arm which i’m told is normal.

Your chin is cleaning himself, which is natural, also the humping is common. Please read up on how you should help your male chinchilla to clean himself by checking for hair rings.

If he is spending more then a few minutes down there, and especially if you notice the penis hanging out, you'll want to check for a hair ring. There are YouTube videos on how to do it, that might be easier then trying to explain it. They are normally good at handling it themselves but sometimes they get one they are not able to remove it themselves.

If he is spending more then a few minutes down there, and especially if you notice the penis hanging out, you'll want to check for a hair ring. There are YouTube videos on how to do it, that might be easier then trying to explain it. They are normally good at handling it themselves but sometimes they get one they are not able to remove it themselves.
i’ve checked and there’s something there but not a ring. it looks like fur but it’s so flat it seems like a mark. i have to call the vet i think

Back