Mutations/Colors: Pictures

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stacey, your chin is adorable! Love the 'pinto' look (as we call it in the horse world!) :)

Here is a picture of my ebony white. His ebony color goes around to his belly.

THIS BOY IS ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!! I have never seen markings like that!! I know of a GREAT home for him where he'd be spoiled rotten <hint> <hint>

Here are my three goldbar boys and my newest little girl.
IMG_2392.jpg

IMG_2048.jpg

IMG_2054.jpg

IMG_2387.jpg

Temp has bright red eyes and I thought he looked beige, but after seeing the charbrown picture, he looks a bit like that too. I don't know much about chin colors yet, so what color would he be classified as? Am I even close with my beige / charbrown guess? lol!
(And I apologize for the bars in the way!)
DSCF0958-2.jpg

This guy would be a TOV tan. If he was lighter he would be a TOV pastel. Looks like he has ebony in his background and the darker touches on his forepaws and legs are the black velvet showing through. The belly is a bit too dark to be a dirty belly so he must have ebony in his background.

Ronda

wow, so many colours, now I kinda wonder what my guy is haha
cause I thought he was standard, but he has white underneath
and looks a lot like the saphire picture one haha

hmm, Im gonna have to get a good pic of him up here :)

Here are a couple of pics of 2 royal blues i have bred - a male and his daughter:)

This is cosmos as a baby which shows his colour at its best:
060403Cosmos.jpg

And his daughter Indigo :)
indigo.jpg

They are sapphire + black velvet -think they are called TOV Sapphire in America :)

I always thought Skippy was a standard grey but she doesn't look like any of the other greys here. Is she something different?

Sorry if the photos are a little small to see well. Still have to learn a lot in uploading pics!!

Attachments

• CuteSkippy.jpg
    CuteSkippy.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_1321.jpg
    IMG_1321.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_1267.jpg
    IMG_1267.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 157
I always thought Skippy was a standard grey but she doesn't look like any of the other greys here. Is she something different?

Sorry if the photos are a little small to see well. Still have to learn a lot in uploading pics!!

The photos ARE small, but she looks like a cute beige to me.

Well, you learn something new everyday! When I first got her, I knew nothing about colour mutations so as she looked grey, I always assumed she was grey.

I better go tell her she is not who we thought she was (HeeHee!!!) :oops:

Here is a picture of my ebony white. His ebony color goes around to his belly.

StarGaz'n, I LOVE your little baby!! he's SOOO cute!!! its like he's wearing his own personal tuxedo =D so cute so cute!! :heart3::heart3::heart3::heart3:

What is the making of a gold bar color wise? Is it a beige mutation or a beige white cross?

All of these chinnies are pretty. I wish I could pet the charcoal one as I hear their fur has a different texture.

I wish I could pet the charcoal one as I hear their fur has a different texture.
Yes it does feel slightly different - it is has what I can best describe as a cotton wool feel - but even that does not describe it adequately I don't think.

I know I have posted some of these before but I thought I might as well add them here too.

Chippie - Light Charcoal (not bad considering he was 10 years old when I took this piccy)
Chippie2.jpg

Shimma - dark phase charcoal (not impressed with having her photo taken).
Shimma1.jpg

Shobi - Pastel (we do not use the terms pastel and tan interchangeably in the UK because they are separate mutations - so this is beige + pure recessive charcoal).
Shobi5.jpg

It seems almost impossible to get a decent photo of a charbrown or charblack (frustratingly!) which shows the veiling to it's full glory - just like a TOV ebony I guess.

Stumpy - charbrown (pure recessive pastel + TOV).
Stumpy1.jpg

Chloe - Stumpy's mother -
chloe.jpg

I seem to see the terms 'tan' and 'pastel' used synonymously; pastel being the term for the lighter chins of the tan coloring, as I understand it. I would love if anyone could clarify the distinction between them if there is one.
I also see a lot of chins lately with the tan solid wrapping, red eyes and pink ears. Many of us have difficulty placing them if we are not fortunate enough to have pedigrees. Still, if charbrowns are rare in the U.S. then that narrows things down, right?

I seem to see the terms 'tan' and 'pastel' used synonymously; pastel being the term for the lighter chins of the tan coloring, as I understand it. I would love if anyone could clarify the distinction between them if there is one.
I also see a lot of chins lately with the tan solid wrapping, red eyes and pink ears. Many of us have difficulty placing them if we are not fortunate enough to have pedigrees. Still, if charbrowns are rare in the U.S. then that narrows things down, right?

Part of the confusion is that one color can go by many names, and some color combinations get their own unique name. For example pink white is just a beige x mosaic cross. White is a good example of on gene that has many names: wilson white, mosaic, silver, and white, are all names that describe the same gene.

Tan, pastel, and charbrown all are mixes of more than one color, they also all have beige genes in that mix, this is why they have the pink eyes and ears. The word tan or wrap are used to describe the ebony gene in the mixture of colors, ebony basically makes a chinchillas normally white belly colored instead.

If you don't know the color of your pet go with the simplest before thinking it might be a rarer/wierd color combo. For example if you have a grey with a white belly think Standard before violet or sapphire, as the rarer mutations cost a lot more. If you bought a unique color the breeder would have told you the name and the price would be much higher. =P

I linked a pic of my mosaic and black velvet.

Attachments

• 2013-02-01_04-01-51_216.jpg
    2013-02-01_04-01-51_216.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 12
Well, you learn something new everyday! When I first got her, I knew nothing about colour mutations so as she looked grey, I always assumed she was grey.

I better go tell her she is not who we thought she was (HeeHee!!!) :oops:

did the same thing with my first chin. I new nothing about the colors either. To my eyes he looked gray. So i thought he was a standard gray. I never started to think something might be wrong with that assumption until i look in my second chin who was supposed to be a standard. Went to pick her up and she looked almost black to me.Apparently i was wrong twice'

Chico_Sophie_2.jpg.html

(Old pic. Hut and ladder removed long ago.)

Back