Multiple Paternity Questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cre8ivmind

I have a couple questions.

My ebony female chinchilla Chaska gave birth to a white mosaic girl, and a stillborn ebony boy. She has been with my white mosaic male (Aldo), but also I saw her accidentally get mated by my standard gray male (Xeldon), who is the father of Aldo. They were out at the same time and I didn't realize it. 110 days after mating with Xeldon, she gave birth to the live and dead offspring. I want Aldo to be the father of the girl. Is it possible that Xeldon still be the father? I'm thinking perhaps Aldo is the father of the live girl, and the stillborn may have been fathered by Xeldon... is this possible? I always thought the mating plug prevents multiple paternity.

Only the white male could have produced the white kit. So Aldo is the father.
As far as multiple father's for a litter, it is possible. Chins do sometimes have dual pregnancies. But there is no way to be sure.

Why is this female in contact with more than one male? Are these chins pedigreed?

A female should only be with one male at a time if they are pedigreed and breeding quality.

The female was accidentally let out at the same time as the other male, and I didn't know he was out. Fortunately, it doesn't appear he's the father of the baby.

I'm going to just put this out there... you obviously don't know a whole lot about breeding. And it isn't something you should do lightly.
Possibly pregnant females should not be let out of cage for play time. It can be very dangerous to the kits in utero.
Are your chin pedigreed? Did they come from a reputable breeder? Have they been evaluated to be breeding quality?

I think you should do some more reasearch before continuing to breed your chins. There is so much more to breeding than just putting a boy and girl together.

Your white male is the father of the white kit, but the standard male could have fathered the other stillborn kit as stated. Chins have two horns to their uterus and can become open at the same time or even slightly later as we've had kits born a month after a previous litter.

Please don't be put off by discouraging remarks. It takes a while to learn it all and some of us here are very willing to help. We all started somewhere and we all still have a lot of learning to do.

I still am learning to breed. However, I will hold off breeding for a while. The mother (Chaska) is pedigreed, but the father (Aldo) isn't. However, I know who the father's parents are. I still have his father (Xeldon), who since the birth I've been calling Grampa more often than his own name, LOL.

I didn't know chins had two uterine horns like rabbits. New info for me. :)

Last edited:
You need to know more than just who the parents are. You should have as much information as possible tracing back to reputable breeders where the lines originated. I have rescues that I know who the parents are and I would never consider breeding them since I do not know anything more than that and I do not want to take the chance of passing on genetic diseases.

Back