multiple eye problems?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimbt622

Crazy Chin Lady!
Hi guys! Things have been crazy over here but I just wanted to post real quick because i'm pretty perplexed. I've noticed this past weekend that Liv has what looks like matted fur under both his eyes most likely from moisture. He is eating fine, playing, pooping well, drinking, no pawing at his mouth, no drooling, no change in behavior that i've noticed. I am thinking it is probably an eye infection and have a vet appt for him on wednesday. Should i go sooner? What's confusing me now, is Harley... whose in a separate cage across my bedroom, also looks like he has moisture/matted fur under his eyes but not as much as Liv. Liv is a dark standard and Harley is a medium ebony. I don't know if I'm going crazy or what! I'm just getting concerned. I see no other symptoms with Harley either. Should I have him checked as well?

Thanks guys!

it would hurt to bring him along. maybe you could inquire about bringing both to see what the charge is.
its likely the treatment will be the same but you also dont want to self vet especially if one is truly having an eye infection and the other has something else wrong that you could have missed. standard treatment is a mild antibiotic like trimethsulfa and eye drops. try to get the drops and not the ointment. it is greasy, oily, hard to apply and makes your chin worse. in the mean time if they dust i like to wipe the eye area with a either a saline soaked qtip or cotton pad. you dont need dust further irritating it.

Okay, thanks Michelle. My vet is pretty good about helping us out financially as much as he can so if I can't bring Harley initially, maybe I will talk to him about it and see if he will let me bring him in alone without charging or a discount. I guess i'm just perplexed as to why they would both have eye issues when they're not even caged together or anything. Hm. I will wipe their eyes after dusting with saline as well. I'll keep you updated. Thanks!

Back