More Space?

Gus_4

When I got my chin 2 months ago, I got him from a breeder. I had gotten another chin from this same breeder before, who suddenly passed very quickly after I got him. Well, when I got both of them, I told her I had purchased a critter nation for him to live in. She told me to only let him live in one part of it (I have a two level) until he is 1 years old (he is about 7 months now). He is tamed and comfortable now, but he seems to be going crazy in the top portion, and I feel he would enjoy a little more room. Do I have to wait until he turns 1 or can I just let him have the full cage now?

Amethyst

Staff member
The reason to wait is because they can over do it as well as being clumsy as they grow. It seems to be personal preferance on when you allow them more space, some say 6 months others a year. Personally I think 6 months is old enough, but waiting a year wont hurt, especially if you have lots of stuff for him to do and hop around on (ledges, shelves, perches, etc) in the cage. Some chins only have one unit as their cage so it is big enough. You can also start doing controlled playtime too if you haven't already.