Moody to super affectionate

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvatore

I have two chinchillas, Mika and Kiki. Kiki has always been aggressive in her actions and has never been too fond of being pet. However through time and patience she will begrudgingly accept head scratches now.

The other day she nipped me rather harshly when I was wearing a jacket. I don't think she realized the coat was a part of me though. I was angry nonetheless and ended her playtime early.

Just this morning I put my hand in the cage and sat it next to her to be sure she wasn't going to become a hard biter. She did the most amazing thing. She started licking my hand and lightly nibbling it. She would then scoot up to it almost like a chicken would nest an egg. That went on for a good three minutes. I got teary eyed. I would have never expected such an act of affectionate from her :) I love my babies.

p.s. have any of your chinchillas done this? I'll have to see if I can capture a video of her doing this.

Of my three girls, only one will snuggle with me. It is always on her terms and never for a long time. All three of my girls can be sweet, in their own ways. Artie, my tough cookie, is the only one who shocks me when she is affectionate. It's not in her nature. She'd rather remind me that she is a tough old broad. :)

Lol!! Yes! My boys do that too. Its funny because that's how I described it was a chicken about to get on her nest! I've been told that it means they have accepted you and they feel your truly family now. I think it is the most precious thing I've ever seen!:)

I'm glad to hear that you guys have experienced the same or a similar thing. It really is nice seeing a change in her personality. My family actually enjoys sitting with her during playtime now! :)

Back