Mom of 4 Kits just died - What to do?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

E-I-E-I-O

I have no idea what happened, but the Mom Chin just died and she just had 4 kits about a week ago. It's 3:30 a.m. and I just discovered the kits laying next her and they won't stop "crying". What do I do?

I don't breed so I can't be of much help but here is a link to the forum FAQ's: http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21.

I do know that you will need to begin hand feeding the kits quite often (the formula is in the above link) and you will need to keep the kits warm. The FAQ link also talks about a heating pad for this. You will need to start this routine ASAP to try to save the kits.

Hopefully someone with some experience will come along shortly and can help.

Firstly I am sorry for your loss. :(

As Ann has suggested, you need to find a gentle heat source for the kits (a heat pad or a warm, cozy box with fleece lining or something similar) & start feeding the kits 2 hourly. You will also have to make sure they are cleaned up after a feed to stimulate them to pass urine & faeces.
The link which Ann has posted has some excellent info on hand rearing kits. You're going to have to feed them at least 2 hourly to begin with & increase it to hourly if they are not gaining weight. Weigh them on 1g increment scales at the same time each day. You will have to feed them round the clock.

If you cannot feed the kits then do you have contact with any chinchilla breeders nearby who might be able to foster them for you or at least help you with some support?

Please continue to ask any questions. No question is too stupid. Any number of people will help. You came to the right place.
I just wanted to add that I found my liquid goat milk at Walmart in the baking section. I found the powder at a local health store.

Canned goats milk is now found in most grocery stores. Giant has it in the organic section here, TSC has the goats milk replacement, Walmart has goats milk canned and fresh(in the dairy section).

You'll want to mix 1 can goats milk, 1 can water to start. You can add a little bit of baby cereal (rice) as they get a little older. This is all I add to the handfeeding formula. Start every 2 hours day and night. Just a drop on their lips with a dropper/small syringe(no needle) to start.

If you use the fresh goat's milk, you can use it straight out of the carton without mixing in any water. I usually pour some in a baby food jar and add a bit of the rice cereal to it. You'll go through a carton of goat's milk in no time, so as long as it has a decent expiration date, it's actually easier just to use that than the canned. The canned you have to freeze whatever you won't use in a day and then thaw the cubes. The kits really like the fresh a lot better.

Yes if you are near some of us we may have a potential foster mom. But every two hours you will need to be feeding the kits.

Back