Modifying Plastic Cage Bottom

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvatore

So long before I knew of the ferret nation and it's magic, I had spent my funds on a super pet cage. Only realizing after the fact that the FN would have been a far better investment. As you can see I modified the shelves it came with and put fleece on them. It's not a bad cage, very spacious and lots of room for creativity. However the plastic pan is beginning to worry me. My chins have taken a special interest in it. I tried a fleece liner for a while and that almost seemed messier than just using shavings. So my question is if there is something else I could line the bottom with? I already contacted bass equipment about a custom pan and they couldn't make it to the dimensions I needed. That or I just wait it out until I can afford an FN. Any suggestions are appreciated. Just figured I'd ask the chinchilla pros!

Attachments

• IMG_4483.jpg
    IMG_4483.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 106
Hmmm... Do they actually chew on the plastic? If they leave it alone, it isn't a big deal to leave it alone...it's only when the chins start chewing on it when you have to worry.

I don't know what else to line it with that you could find easily. Let's see...what if you got some hardware cloth 1/4"x1/4" openings and bent it into the shape of the pan to line the pan? My husband used to have some aluminum that had some sticky backing to it that I used on some pans a long time ago, but I have no idea of where you'd find that.

what about putting a three inch wood rail around the top of the plastic and fill the shavings up past the plastic.

Yeah they've started chewing on the plastic. One day in particular they ate a good portion and it worried me. If they were persistent they could chew a hole. I may have to try using a thin wire mesh. My only concern would be getting the mesh to fit with the shape of the pan.

Maybe you can put a big square of fleece in the pan and let it drape over the sides so that the fleece will be between the plastic pan and the metal bars.

I have the Critter Nation (same mfg of FN) and both Critter Nation and I believe FN come with plastic trays as well.

I had custom wood floors and shelf tops made because I have a chewer.

Floor Tiles could be another option (removing the tray entirely) for your existing cage but would be a project cutting tiles to the correct size.

I like Shooper's idea. I think it's your best bet to drape a big hunk of fleece over it so that they can't chew the plastic bottom or get at it at all. Good luck and keep us updated!

So I am brand new on this site and with my chinchilla baby so I am not the person to take advice from.... but my cage setup is similar to yours and I have vinyl flooring in the bottom... cut on the edges so the overlap and form a container at the bottom. If he starts to chew it I will obviously need to find something else.

So I ended up taking fleece and just lining over the part where they chew. I used vtelcro strips underneath to hold it in place and to keep them from taking too much notice to it. So far so good. However if they start looking for the velcro then I may have to remove it. For the time being I have solved my plastic chewing problem. I'll post pics soon :)

I completely removed the plastic pan, and custom made a pine box in the same dimensions instead.
It works just like the plastic one, but it won't hurt the chinnies if they chew on it. I wish I knew how to load a picture!!!

Back