Minor Chin Belly Ache?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnhappyRefrain

Last night, I noticed my one year old male chin's poo smelled really bad. it was a little bit on the moist side, but his poo has always looked a little on the squishy side despite retaining it's shape. I do what I like to call the 'roll test' to see if his poo is firm enough to roll around and while the foul smelling poo stuck a little bit, his poo afterwards were firmer and had no smell. My question is can chin's have the occasional minor belly ache and have it sort itself out? I tried looking it up, but all I was able to find were articles on chin diarrhea (my first chin had bad diarrhea, so I do know what it looks like). Also wanted to add that his diet has not been changed and he's been eating normally. Any thoughts?

If it was just a one time thing and the poops went back to normal the most likely cause is he ate something he shouldn't have. It's not uncommon for non hay items, like sticks, bugs, and other kinds of plants, to make it into the hay and the hand sorters don't always catch everything before it's bagged up and shipped to stores. If you don't look over the hay closely when you put it in they can end up eating something odd in their hay.

If it was just a one time thing and the poops went back to normal the most likely cause is he ate something he shouldn't have. It's not uncommon for non hay items, like sticks, bugs, and other kinds of plants, to make it into the hay and the hand sorters don't always catch everything before it's bagged up and shipped to stores. If you don't look over the hay closely when you put it in they can end up eating something odd in their hay.
This is going to sound really dumb, but do you think it's possible that he was wound up? There was a lot of stress in the house last night and I can't help wonder if he didn't pick up on some of it and got spooked.

This is going to sound really dumb, but do you think it's possible that he was wound up? There was a lot of stress in the house last night and I can't help wonder if he didn't pick up on some of it and got spooked.
Yes, stress can cause the poop to go soft too. Chins do pick up on their owners stress and can become stressed themselves.

Whew. That's actually a weight lifted from my mind. I get to be like a hypochondriac
Yes, stress can cause the poop to go soft too. Chins do pick up on their owners stress and can become stressed themselves.
That is a huge weight off my mind. I'm still really jumpy since my first chin passed away last year. I get to be like a hypochondriac when anything changes at all. I really appreciate you for always answering my questions. It is a huge comfort. Thank you.

Back