Middle Layer of Fleece Liners

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NommyCakes

I'm interested in what kind of fabric you guys use in the middle. Fleece is the only fabric that is safe for chinchillas, but why do people use the quilt fabric for the middle? Can't they just eat through it? And I can't find the quilt fabric on Joann's used in one of the How to Make Fleece Liner threads. So can anyone send me that link as well? Thanks! :)

Well, ideally we would use all fleece, but I have a preshrunk towel in the middle of mine. It is well sewn in (all turned in seems with tight stitching about 1.5" from the edges, too. I change it every other day. They hold up well through washing and drying and are absorbent. I check it carefully. I use high quality fleece if I can, with designs on the top and white on the bottom (so I can easily use that side if I need to monitor pees better).

If you are concerned, you can certainly use more layers of fleece instead. If your chin chews up fleece, do not put any fleece covered plastic, towels, etc in his cage.

I use diapers - regular cloth baby diapers, then I sewed it in with a quilt stitch. Worked great for absorbancy and the quilt stitch kept it from bunching up in the middle.

Just throwing some fleece in there will not work. You need to secure it and you need something to absorb the urine.

I have tried a number of different things including terry cloth and quilting. I have not found anything yet that will holdup to urine from multiple chins, but I am getting ready to try a layer of terry cloth and a layer of rubber sheeting (like you'd use on a child's bed). It's a little more expensive, but I think if it works it will pay for itself in saved velcro and rust free trays.

I also have a towel in the middle of mine, I use thick/good quality fleece and my chins have never chewed fleece before anyways. I stitched it about an inch from the seam on the edge. I have two chins in the same fn 142 and these liners have worked great so far! I wouldn't use towel if you have fleece chewers though...

Back