Meet Ruby!❤

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinsForLife

I love Chico so much that I decided to get another one! I pondered the "what ifs" and cost for months on end before I finally decided to go for it and I waited a couple more months before she was ready..NOPE, that would be a lie.... It was a conplete spur of the moment!🤣🤣

Honestly, I've wanted to get another chinchilla for a while now but I didn't think my parents would ever let me. I went to the movie theater to see Avatar with my grandparents yeaterday and stopped at petsmart on the way back so I could pick out a couple safe hanging toys for Chico's B-day todag and a few more guppies for my close-to-bare tank.(all of my guppies are getting old in age and are gradually dropping) I was shocked that they actually had a chinchilla in stock just based on their history of NEVER having them so I asked the associate if I could just see her because I was simply curious as to how much smaller she was than my boy. The moment I saw her, I fell in love! I called my parents who reluctantly said yes and so here we are! Chico gets a sister for his 2nd Birthday!(and they will be separated so there aren't any babies, lol. My critter nation add on will be here Tuesday) I'm still considering names so if yall have any ideas, feel free to share but I think I'm leaning towards the name Ruby at the moment. If I change my mind, I'll update the post. Also, any tips on bonding by male and female chinchillas for playtime when she's older?

PS: THE GUINEA PIG CAGE IS ONLY FOR A FEW DAYS. I'm not mean, lol. He'll be ok until Ruby's cage arrives.20230218_012347.jpg20230217_214057.jpg20230218_005234.jpg20230217_214839.jpg20230217_215146.jpg

I would not bond them unless you get Chico neutered, which is a risky surgery. Mating literally takes a split second, hop on hop off and the deed is done, so unless you make sure they don't ever come within 6" of each other it can happen too fast to stop it. Also even if you do neuter Chico there is no guarantee they will ever get along, and unlike a lot of other animals neutering a chin doesn't even have any health benefits for a healthy chin. That means you may risk Chico's life and put him through a risky operation and long painful recovery (8 weeks for all the sperm to be gone) for nothing. In case you are wondering spaying a female is not advised at all either, most vets wont even spay them anyway unless medically needed because of the high risk of complications and death.

You are much better off just doing two separate play times.

On a side note, just a couple things I see in the cage to watch out for as well, that hay holder is a bit of a risk, if the chin decides to jump on it they can get a leg caught in it. Also the bell on the toy I would make sure their teeth can't get caught, some chins decide to bite the little dangly part and if the hole is big enough their teeth can get stuck in it. It was a freak accident I know, but still has happened before.

I would not bond them unless you get Chico neutered, which is a risky surgery. Mating literally takes a split second, hop on hop off and the deed is done, so unless you make sure they don't ever come within 6" of each other it can happen too fast to stop it. Also even if you do neuter Chico there is no guarantee they will ever get along, and unlike a lot of other animals neutering a chin doesn't even have any health benefits for a healthy chin. That means you may risk Chico's life and put him through a risky operation and long painful recovery (8 weeks for all the sperm to be gone) for nothing. In case you are wondering spaying a female is not advised at all either, most vets wont even spay them anyway unless medically needed because of the high risk of complications and death.

You are much better off just doing two separate play times.

On a side note, just a couple things I see in the cage to watch out for as well, that hay holder is a bit of a risk, if the chin decides to jump on it they can get a leg caught in it. Also the bell on the toy I would make sure their teeth can't get caught, some chins decide to bite the little dangly part and if the hole is big enough their teeth can get stuck in it. It was a freak accident I know, but still has happened before.
Ok, thank you! And yes, that hay feeder is really Chico's and he doesn't care to jump on it and I've checked the bell. It's good. :) She has her own level now actually. We just haven't screwed the ledges and cut the tiles yet so I'm having to use fleece bedding instead for now even though I prefer the other.

Btw, I sent you a pm.

Last edited:
Back