Matted mess rescue

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreadawnx

So I just bought a chinchilla off of craigslist from this woman (I know craigslist is evil when It comes to animals but the lady seemed so nice and sincere). I'm now considering my purchase a rescue. I have never seen a critter in such bad condition. She has multiple clumps in her fur on the top of her body, most of which weren't to hard for me to cut out much to her disdain. Her bottom is what I am most concerned about. It is a huge clump of urine and feces,:vomit: I am assuming this is from her being left in an unclean pen for a long time. I am so upset for this poor baby and I really don't know what to do. Is it okay if I get an electric razor of some sort to shave that mess off? A bikini electric razor was recommended to me by a close friend who uses them to trim hair clumps off of puppies.
Don't even get me started on the fact that these people were feeding her GUINEA PIG FOOD. I also spent a good chunk of money on her and the critter nation she came with.
Please help me, there are photos attached of the poor things rear.

Attachments

• ResizedImage_1412825820015.jpg
    ResizedImage_1412825820015.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 41
  • ResizedImage_1412825820535.jpg
    ResizedImage_1412825820535.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 33
I would just grab the mats and pull them out. It won't hurt her and it will be the easiest way to remove them. I don't advise cutting or shaving mats out. It risks cutting the chin and it takes longer for the fur to grow back.

Dreamlite is right...you can pull at the mats until they release. Unscented baby wipes may clean up fur/skin once all mats have been removed, but it wont make a huge difference. Dust baths are going to be your best friend for a while!

Poor thing. Good luck with her!

I agree with both Mandy and Dreamlite. And wanted to add that sometimes a regular hair comb can also really help (if the chin will put up with it). I've never used show combs on mats, for some reason I've always been more worried about poking their skin when I'm trying to remove mats.

Back