Matted fur...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IvoryBolt

So I finally got my little rescue chinchilla boy in...he's put on some weight finally and he's looking better and better...however..his belly has quite a few mats...specifically, in his armpits and under his chin (the chin is from him having an adventure in a temporary water dish after his bottle broke)...What all can I do to help him? Do I cut them out or shave his belly? or leave them be? Or just attempt to brush them out?

Do not cut them out. It is far too easy to accidentally cut their skin. For the belly ones, if they are not too large, you can simply pull them out. Since chins slip their fur as a defense, a quick sharp tug usually gets the mat right out. The chin will likely complain but it doesn't really hurt when you pull them out. If his belly is badly matted, you can work them out slowly with your fingers or invest in a good chin comb. For under the chin, I would first try washing it off a little bit to see if it isn't sticky. I use a baby wash cloth which seems to work best. Then use a hair dryer set on the lowest setting to dry it off. If there are still mats, then pluck them out.

Awesome, I didn't want to cut them xP from the feels of it...his belly is pretty bad...and his chin shouldn't be sticky, but I'll double check when I'm off work. Poor bugger isn't good with a water dish xD (It wasn't me who did it, his temp foster mom did). Baby wash cloth as in baby wipes or the suuuper soft was cloths?

He's got dust baths too, but his skin is kinda flakey, so it's a delicate balance...I just got him some lifeline to help with the process, but the mats couldn't wait too much longer. There were some that were pretty much attached to his skin and he had sores where they were at, poor guy. I think he feels better now...he's snuggling on my shirt I put in there for him. Here's some pics of the aftermath of our first de-matting session...he's still got some more on his belly, but the worst of them are gone:

He gets Mazuri pellets. And i know, it was sooooo much fur. I felt bad...but I know he's doing better. He's moving much more, and was taking rose hips and oats from my hand...even nudging it to find more ^-^

Wow that's a lot of fur. Poor Baby. I bet he does feel better.

What food are you feeding?

Oh, that food in the dish isn't what he's getting...the super temp foster mom was feeding him the Kaytee stuff. ew. yuck. that was out asap xD

Back