Mastitis

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veronica

A set of trips will be 10 weeks old tomorrow. On Monday, we moved the kits to a separate cage to give mom a break. We had not seen any nursing lately. Apparently that's not the case, as last night we noticed that the mom has mastitis. I applied a warm compress and we put one of the kits back in the cage with her. He has been nursing. I'm not sure this was the right thing to do, but it seemed like an immediate solution.

Is there anything else we should do?

Thanks

usually kits do not need to nurse after 8 weeks and actually after 6 weeks moms tend to try and get them cut down..which is why alot of breeders do wean at 6 weeks..I do not personally but alot do..

the compresses should help..I have also heard about bag balm helping..An I do know there is a type of antibiotic that can be used..As well a some other homo pathic remedies..Hopefully someone can offer more advice..

Me personally I would not put any kits back with her..As I would fear it would make it worse..When I have had it hear I pulled kits immediately and solved it with compress and antibiotics..

I would pull the kit she doesn't need to be having him try to nurse further irratating the nipple. Compresses help, warm wet tea bags help, she may need antibiotics. Male kits deffinitly need to be weaned by 8 weeks, there have been cases of 10 week old kits impregnanting the mother

agreed...pull the kits (and keep them pulled)...I have also heard bag balm works wonder. Keep a compress and tea bags for a few days and monitor how she is healing. If not, make a vet apt. to prevent any serious infection (if there isn't one already)

Back