Male or female

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zahrii

I've been getting some conflicting information on this. What pairing would be better for bonding and have a stronger chance of staying bonded and not fighting? A male pair or a female pair? Most sources I've seen say that male pairs get along just as well as female pairs or vice versa. Other sources say that males get along better than females. Some other sources say that females get along better than males. What do you guys think?

It depends on the personalities more then gender, it's like asking which are better friends/roommates two men or two women (it depends on the individuals). In the wild chin world females are the territorial ones, they stay in one place and the males move between herds of females. So females can be harder to bond to begin with, like if you are trying to pair two random chins. On the other hand males can end up fighting if you have a female in heat around. When I had around 10 chins growing up I use to do play time in groups, the females all pretty much got along once we figure out who to group with who. The males I only had a problem when one of the females went into heat.

I heard that females have a higher chance of staying bonded once together, while males have a slightly higher risk of fighting. Is that true, or does it just apply if a female in heat is involved? I would be getting the chins when they are bonded.

I'm pretty sure it's just when females are involved. My two are twin brothers, so together since birth, and are over 12 now.

Back