Lying on their side.. why is it bad?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it is very scary the first time you see your "dead" fur ball, but everyone is correct in that it's perfectly normal. And Cuddlebug is right that only a very happy and totally safe feeling chin will sleep like this (barring illness or prego) so you're doing something right!!! My violet likes to sleep on his back sometimes lol.

I have several who sleep on their sides. I love Little Dudes face when he is sleeping like that. I could watch him for hours. So innocent.

I don't think sleeping on their sides is a bad thing either. All of my chins do it from time to time and some more than others. Gideon will even sleep on his back in his hammock with all 4's up in the air...scared the hell out me the first time he did this!! As long as they're eating and drinking well, their poo is normal, they are alert and active (not lethargic), and not overheated, I think it's fine. I also believe (and I could be wrong) that once your chin starts sleeping on their side, it's an indication that they're comfortable enough in their environment to "relax". When I first brought each of my chins home, they always slept sitting up or on all 4's...kinda like they were "ready to run" if they needed to.

It sounds to me like Phoenix has become very comfortable in his home and with you...this is a great thing!

That's how I know when they are happy and comfortable - when they're laying on their sides, instead of curled up on their haunches. It's a happy thing in our house.

Back