Lovely Surprise

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sugargliderlove

Hedge Addict
So I had took in another hedgie. She had been rescued from someone and the person who rescued her coul not keep her cause she had 4 hedgies already but didnt want her to be in the condition she was in so they took her in. I seen a post that she needed a home and I took her in on July 4th. I was told that she might be pregnant and that was what the person I got her from was told as well. She did not act like it at all. So I figured she wasnt. I go to take her out of her cage July 30th, just to get ran out of her hut. I did not think anything of it ti a half hour later to see to my surprise 4 little baby hedgies in her hut. She is doing great with them. when I check her food and water she sees me and she moves so that I can see the babies. she also took some mealies from my hand as well. Her name is Pandora, she is a Albino. All the babies are white and they look healthy. Pandora(Panda) is on a 4 kibble mix that has 2 different kitten foods in it so she had the extra fat for the babies and also she was a runner so that is why she is on that mix as well. Oh I almost forgot she is 8 mths old.

I will be posting pictures when the babies are 2 weeks. Even though she trust me I dont want to take any chances of her harming the babies if I touch them. they will be 2 weeks old on Aug. 13th.

I was able to change some of the bedding and she let me move the hut and tak a picture and she also let me hold them. I know its not what most people say should be done. she is really trusting of me. all she did when i was holding them she smelled me and went back to eat her food. she has 4 little boys from what I can tell

Congratulations! I bet the babies are adorable and how sweet that mama trusts you. I am sure this will help them bond to people and be great pets.

Yea it is great that she trusts me. I have had her since july 4th, and to develop a bond and trust this soon is great. I was able to take a picture of the babies today when I was changing out some bedding. I was able to look more closely at the babies and there is 1 girl and 3 boys. I will have more pictures soon even though Pandora trust me I dont want to disturb the babies too much. I must tell everyone what one of little boys did while I was holding him he started mouthing and licking my hand then he anointed himself it was cute.:woohoo:

Attachments

• CAM00105.jpg
    CAM00105.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 43
Oh my! Three adults and four babies -- that's a lot of hedgie!! Keep those little ones safe and healthy.

I just got an email from the person who was wanting baby I was talking about has found a home. they said they may not be able to afford to pay the price to adopt him. :( the little one they were gonna get is so mellow and laid back. I was thinking about keeping him but I dont know if I would be able to give attention to 4 hedgies. I am able to give time and attention to the 3 I have now but I dont want to keep him and then not have the time to give all 4 of them like I am to the 3 right now

I guess better to find out now that they cannot afford to adopt (just think how much more the first vet bill would be!!!) than to send him to a new home that cannot take proper care of him.

You might want to contact either the Hedgehog Welfare Society or International Hedgehog Association, to let them know you might be needing assistance in placing 4 little hedgies. They would not pay an adoption fee (at least I don't believe they would), but they would be able to get the little ones homes with known "good" people.

But if they can't afford the one-time adoption fee, how can they afford food and bedding and all that regularly? And what if a vet visit is needed? Just putting my two cents in, don't mind me!

I don't think color or gender should impact the price. It doesn't change the hedgehog so it seems like just greed to me to charge more for a color. Pretty much all the colors are common anymore anyway. We get albinos by accident and actually have more trouble placing them because people don't like the red eyes. We charge $100 for everything and will drop to $75 for certain situations. I'd rather that extra $25 went to the hedgehog's care if necessary.

akane I am not being greedy because of asking that much for them. I have looked at several places near me and that is around the same price they are asking for as well.

the babies are doing great. 2 of the boys have their eyes open. they are getting so big. It is going to be sad when they find their mew homes.

Back