Losing weight

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeginnerChinLover

The Chin Shopaholic
Hi all!

One of my chins, Zoey, has been losing weight since the middle of December. I attributed it to giardia, as Lilo tested positive for it so I automatically put Zoey on meds since they have the same play area. The weight loss started when I gave her meds. She's been off them for about a month, but is still losing.

She's only ate 5g of pellets since last night, and maybe some hay - though not a noticeable amount. I've been trying to force feed her Intensive Care and Critical Care just to get something into her. She is on Mazuri, but has a bowl of Oxbow to see if she wanted a change. Her fecal last week came back negative for giardia also. I am getting another one done next week to be sure its not a false negative.

Shes been getting Lifeline for the last 2 weeks, andi started giving her acidophilus. Her poops are normal size, although a little on the lighter side.

Any ideas how I can encourage he to eat more? She used to eat around 20g/day.

Thanks, guys!

How often since Dec have you hand fed her? Slow weight loss is a first indicator of teeth issues and hand fed chins can need filings since the teeth can overgrow in a short time-they grow 1-3+mm a week.

I would ask the vet to do xrays while the chin is under to have their teeth filed. Might as well make sure there aren't any more serious issues under the surface. It costs more to xray but it's better to do it now then to wait until your chin has lost so much weight that it is more risky.

Back