Looking for things to get Rinny for Christmas

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boardinggamer

I want to get Rinny some Christmas presents and was wondering what was good to get her and also if what I had in mind are ok for Chinchillas.

I was thinking a cage extension for my Single Unit Ferret Nation cage. Would that be ok for a 3 month old Chinchilla? or is it to high and cause to much of a risk for injury. I currently have the shelf on the lowest level so its not as high of a jump/fall for her.

I was also thinking a cat scratching post for her to jump around on. I don't know what those are made of but I read somewhere that you can let your Chinchilla player with them, though they also said to give them a sand bath everyday so I don't know.

What are some good Ideas on what to get her. Since she is only 3 months old (she will be 3 months on the 19th) I wont give her any treats. What toys do Chinchillas seem to like most. Let me know your ideas.

I had a cat scratching post type thing for my chins a while back and they loved it. The only thing you have to watch is to make sure they're not actually chewing the carpet and other things on it. Mine never did though.

Making your FN bigger is a great idea too. Since it adds on, there is almost a full pan in the middle, so you won't have to worry about your chin falling all the way down the cage. You'd probably want to get the metal Bass pans to go with it though.

Every chin likes something different, but it seems like apple wood is a favorite for toys, or pretty much anything with a natural, barky wood on it.

You could get the second level, but I think she might be a little young for the whole two stories just yet, but she will be soon enough. Right now though unless you also have tons of shelves, hammocks, and ledges to over lap I personally wouldn't chance it. Wood sticks and chews are always a good option for "treats" and toys. I just bought a whole assortment of different types of wood sticks in small quantities to figuring out which ones my boys like, they get a different type each night. My guys also love bamboo shredders, and lava bites, you can also go with willow vine toys, which I think I read you had a willow ball. As for the cat scratching post, I'm assuming you mean like a cat tree with levels, my love them during play time. I'd just be careful of what the fabric/carpet is made of, I've been sticking with the fabric that looks like what you'd find of a stuffed animal or tight loop carpet, they can't get big chunks of it or long strands if they do chew it before I notice, they are sneaky little buggers. :)

I had a cat scratching post type thing for my chins a while back and they loved it. The only thing you have to watch is to make sure they're not actually chewing the carpet and other things on it. Mine never did though.

Making your FN bigger is a great idea too. Since it adds on, there is almost a full pan in the middle, so you won't have to worry about your chin falling all the way down the cage. You'd probably want to get the metal Bass pans to go with it though.

Every chin likes something different, but it seems like apple wood is a favorite for toys, or pretty much anything with a natural, barky wood on it.
Since I will only have a limited amount of money I don't think I can afford the like $150 for the second unit and metal pans so I was thinking of waiting until she is older and full grown. I may get her some chew toys to play with. What would you say is a good source to get some though?
You could get the second level, but I think she might be a little young for the whole two stories just yet, but she will be soon enough. Right now though unless you also have tons of shelves, hammocks, and ledges to over lap I personally wouldn't chance it. Wood sticks and chews are always a good option for "treats" and toys. I just bought a whole assortment of different types of wood sticks in small quantities to figuring out which ones my boys like, they get a different type each night. My guys also love bamboo shredders, and lava bites, you can also go with willow vine toys, which I think I read you had a willow ball. As for the cat scratching post, I'm assuming you mean like a cat tree with levels, my love them during play time. I'd just be careful of what the fabric/carpet is made of, I've been sticking with the fabric that looks like what you'd find of a stuffed animal or tight loop carpet, they can't get big chunks of it or long strands if they do chew it before I notice, they are sneaky little buggers. :)
I watch her carefully when I take her out of her cage for playtime. She won't have a chance to chew it. But my main worry would be her falling. Should I wait for her to get full size before I get one? That way if she does happen to fall her the chance of getting hurt won't be as high. She does seem to like her willow ball. I rarely see her playing and chewing it but every morning it's more and more destroyed. I actually plan on getting more of those when I get a few more dollars to cover the shipping.

My two love bamboo shredders, willow or vine products and barky woods. I have one who loves birdie bagels and another who won't touch them. You just have to figure out what she likes and what she doesn't like and go from there.

Maybe buy or make her some wooden ledges or perches and/or a hammock or fleece tube.

Busybunny.com has some fun things such as willow products and the cardboard mazes for playtime.

http://store.busybunny.com/gimme-shelter-c53.aspx
Are the cardboard mazes ok to keep in the cage if they fit? or would that be bad since she will chew on it and stuff. Because her cage is kinda boring at the moment and she needs things to jump around on.
My two love bamboo shredders, willow or vine products and barky woods. I have one who loves birdie bagels and another who won't touch them. You just have to figure out what she likes and what she doesn't like and go from there.

Maybe buy or make her some wooden ledges or perches and/or a hammock or fleece tube.
I am still waiting for the fleece I ordered. which had a hammock and maybe a tube. I saw some cool ledges on amazon that were cheap and had great reviews and I plan on getting 3 of those for her to jump around on. She loved her willow ball so I will look for more Willow toys for her.

You don't want to keep those cardboard mazes in the cage. They are just for playtime outside the cage. The reason being is that chins need to be supervised with cardboard because they could swallow it and that can cause impaction. They sure look like fun!

Did you post a picture of your cage? Maybe we can help you find stuff/ideas to spruce it up! There are some wonderful vendors here that sell wood shelving at very reasonable prices.

Check chin classifieds on here - there are lots of people offering wood and toy packages for around $20-25 for SS gifts. Just remember, she is too young for any treats - she needs to be 6mo old before you get those.

I would wait on expanding her cage if you don't have the finances for it. She's fine in there now. I personally don't think it's very safe for a chin of any age to remove the middle divider/pan in a FN/CN cage - why take the chances? they get just as much play space with it in there and much safer.

Check chin classifieds on here - there are lots of people offering wood and toy packages for around $20-25 for SS gifts. Just remember, she is too young for any treats - she needs to be 6mo old before you get those.

I would wait on expanding her cage if you don't have the finances for it. She's fine in there now. I personally don't think it's very safe for a chin of any age to remove the middle divider/pan in a FN/CN cage - why take the chances? they get just as much play space with it in there and much safer.

Where was it suggested to remove the middle pan on the FN cage? I didn't see it, I certainly didn't suggest it.

Expanding the cage is a good idea if you have the finances, but if you don't have money for both the cage and the metal pans then I'd wait. Most chins eventually chew up the plastic pans and that isn't safe for them.

Since you said her cage is boring, I'd just suggest some new perches or other smaller things for in the cage that you can rotate out like hanging toys.

You don't want to keep those cardboard mazes in the cage. They are just for playtime outside the cage. The reason being is that chins need to be supervised with cardboard because they could swallow it and that can cause impaction. They sure look like fun!

Did you post a picture of your cage? Maybe we can help you find stuff/ideas to spruce it up! There are some wonderful vendors here that sell wood shelving at very reasonable prices.
I don't know if I posted pics on here but there are some on my website.

I will look around on here for some stuff.

Removing the middle pan would never happen. I am just worried that the distance from the second level (not unit) would be to high for her since she's still little. I would have have to rase it for the ramps to work properly to get to the second unit.
Where was it suggested to remove the middle pan on the FN cage? I didn't see it, I certainly didn't suggest it.

Expanding the cage is a good idea if you have the finances, but if you don't have money for both the cage and the metal pans then I'd wait. Most chins eventually chew up the plastic pans and that isn't safe for them.

Since you said her cage is boring, I'd just suggest some new perches or other smaller things for in the cage that you can rotate out like hanging toys.
I would love hanging toys. I saw a hanging house somewhere and I wanted it but I don't have the money for it yet. Since I won't have birthday and Christmas money combined for the presents I don't think I can afford the cage extension with the fleece for that and metal pans along with some hanging toys.

So this is my current idea.
After getting money for my birthday (hopefully around $100) I will get some hanging toys and shelves and stuff and then that will be her Christmas stuff. Then using the money I get for Christmas and the left over birthdays money I will get the cage extension.
When it comes to me I have my computers already so I don't need the money for getting myself stuff. I'm a simple person. I just want my little Rinny to be happy

Michael-

You can save yourself tons of money by going to lowes and picking up a 1 x5 untreated, kiln dried pine board and making shelves yourself. Just cut them to the size you need/want and attach them to the cages with washers and screws.

I wouldn't worry about Rinny not being happy. I'm sure she is head over heals in her new environment.

Michael-

You can save yourself tons of money by going to lowes and picking up a 1 x5 untreated, kiln dried pine board and making shelves yourself. Just cut them to the size you need/want and attach them to the cages with washers and screws.

I wouldn't worry about Rinny not being happy. I'm sure she is head over heals in her new environment.

She sleeps a lot during the day unless I take her out and let her run around my bed or in the bathroom. when shes awake in her cage she seems so happy and playful though. She loves her Dust Baths, that's when she gets really happy and jumpy.

I agree with Godins Chins above. Chins are pretty simple to please when it comes to a new place to live. Make your own shelves, it is so much less expensive to do it that way. They are very easy to make.

If I wanted to make some other things like maybe a house or something, What would I use to attach the peaces? I mean I can try to do it the no glue way (not sure the name) that is like puzzle pieces in a way, but glue would be better. So what I am getting at is, What glue is safe to use?

Lowe's and Home Depot will even cut the wood to whatever size you need, so all you have to do is add the hanging hardware and maybe sand the edges.

I didn't say you or anyone out right suggested it, but Amethyst's post suggested he'd need to modify it to make a two level safe from falls - which is fine advice, but I didn't want him to infer the middle pan had to be removed. I've seen plenty of people remove it and post pictures of cages in the housing thread and expressed my opinion that I don't think it's the best idea even if you modify it with overlapping items.

Last edited:
Back