Looking for the best prices on toys and chews!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinsForLife

Ok, so basically, I'm on the hunt for apple & willow sticks. Right now, the cheapest I have found is Ronda's but $32 lb. for twiglets is EXPENSIVE. I don't even know how many sticks that is since I've never really ordered sticks in bulk...for all I know it could be less than 100 twiglets and I've sent $40 down the drain for THAT. I've always got wood through oxbow but with 2 chins who go through them like there is no tomorrow, I may need to order in bulk to be able to afford them. Would it be cheaper to just order oxbow willow sticks? If not, where can I order from cheaper? Shipping costs really gets me these days. I've checked amazon but I'm concerned about mold. I'm also going to check this facebook group I heard about tomorrow.

Also, I have been ordering from allbirdtoybuilders.com and i was wondering where y'all order chew toy parts from and if you know anywhere cheaper or that had cheaper shipping. I try to be frugal even with chinchillas so just trying to make sure I get the best deal!

If I recall correctly Ronda's photos used to show half a pound, but it's been 3 years since I've been involved, her cousin Xia took over the business when she passed of cancer. It's that expensive because they are hand cut from local orchards around Hermiston Oregon and by the time they are done being washed and dried they lose about 40% of their weight. I have a note on this photo that it is 8oz apple twiglets, so you can count and roughly double it. Larger sizes will be heavier.

I'm sure you could find bigger options from digital stores but most come from overseas where there is little to no regulations on pesticides or how it is treated and processed. The sticks don't always look like this - they are hand cut so some years the wood will be darker or fuzzier.

I've also included 1oz of Apple and Aussie willow, different woods are lighter so you get more of them.

Last photos are of Ronda and Xia harvesting in the spring - that is the only time you can prune the orchards. - I used to fly up and help, love the smell of baking wood. 🥰

AppleTwiglets-8oz.jpgAppleTwiglets1oz.jpgAussieWillowTwiglets1oz.jpg
Ronda (left) Xia (right)
Ronda_And_Xia.JPG
Xia loading the truck.
XiaWood2.jpg

Last edited:
I found more photos! These are all 8oz, just different sizes.
8oz apple twiglets.
AppleTwiglets-8oz.jpg
8oz corkscrew willow sticks

CorkScrewWillowSticks8oz.jpg

8oz corkscrew willow twigs

CorkScrewWillowTwigs8oz.jpg

8oz weeping willow twigs *this is the lightest wood by far and you can tell by volume.
WeepingWillowTwigs8oz.jpg
8oz weeping willow twirlies
WeepingWillowTwirlies8oz.jpg

Hope that helps!

So I'm also looking for chew toy parts. here's my wish list along with links to where/if I have found them:

Vine balls – 100

Vine stars – 50

Sola wood – 30

Wooden blocks – 30 (The only ones I found may contain spruce & fir)

Drilled apple coins - 50

Palm shredder braid - 1

Bamboo finger traps – 25

Loofah pieces – 20 (I'm waiting on a request to join the Cherokee Forest Wood Company so I'm going to check there too.)

Seagrass braid – 6 ft

Pumice stones - 20 (I need drilled ones)

Where do y'all buy your toys? I'm trying really hard to save money on shipping. Trying to order toy parts in bulk so if you know anywhere cheaper, please let me know!! I escpecially need advice on drilled apple wood coins and/or colored blocks, as well as loofah and PUMICE STONES. I can't find them anywhere. Thanks!

@Amethyst @tunes @Spoof

I've found decent length of shredder braid (20 or 30 feet) at etsy for less than $6.00 excluding shipping. I've also bought it at Chewy.com for a reasonable price.

I found finger traps at Hobby Lobby. I don't remember the exact price but it was under $2.00 for a package of 10-12. I bought 2 bags and total cost including tax was less than $4.00.

You might also check out Farmer Dave's. Homepage

No idea if they're any cheaper than what you've already found, but they sell a variety of woods and sizes and sell pretty large lots of them.

Check out Etsy too. That's where I buy a lot of my chew toys. It's not always super cheap, but if you're dig around a bit, sometimes you can find decent deals, and sometimes certain vendors will have sales.

I've found decent length of shredder braid (20 or 30 feet) at etsy for less than $6.00 excluding shipping. I've also bought it at Chewy.com for a reasonable price.

I found finger traps at Hobby Lobby. I don't remember the exact price but it was under $2.00 for a package of 10-12. I bought 2 bags and total cost including tax was less than $4.00.
You might also check out Farmer Dave's. Homepage

No idea if they're any cheaper than what you've already found, but they sell a variety of woods and sizes and sell pretty large lots of them.

Check out Etsy too. That's where I buy a lot of my chew toys. It's not always super cheap, but if you're dig around a bit, sometimes you can find decent deals, and sometimes certain vendors will have sales.
Thank you!

Ok, so basically, I'm on the hunt for apple & willow sticks. Right now, the cheapest I have found is Ronda's but $32 lb. for twiglets is EXPENSIVE. I don't even know how many sticks that is since I've never really ordered sticks in bulk...for all I know it could be less than 100 twiglets and I've sent $40 down the drain for THAT. I've always got wood through oxbow but with 2 chins who go through them like there is no tomorrow, I may need to order in bulk to be able to afford them. Would it be cheaper to just order oxbow willow sticks? If not, where can I order from cheaper? Shipping costs really gets me these days. I've checked amazon but I'm concerned about mold. I'm also going to check this facebook group I heard about tomorrow.

Also, I have been ordering from allbirdtoybuilders.com and i was wondering where y'all order chew toy parts from and if you know anywhere cheaper or that had cheaper shipping. I try to be frugal even with chinchillas so just trying to make sure I get the best deal!
Hi,
I buy my wood twigs & other sizes from Nola's Chinchilla Rescue, he carries different woods too
& his prices are reasonable.
I love Rhonda's. I buy all my treats & herbs from there.

Back