Loofah

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

whiskers387

I know this will be handwork, but if i were to prepare loofah, how long does it take before i can harvest it? Also when do i pick it and what do i need to do to it?

Thanks

I have never grown it but where I bopught it made a big deal out not harvesting until after the first frost. I don't know if you peel it or if after it dries the skin is easy to get off. Look up on the net making loofa sponges.

The plants are huge! and they're basically squash, so about 90 days to maturity and then you need to wait at least 3 months, I believe, for the fruit to develop, ripen, and dry. Leave them on the vine to dry. It's really really hard to peel them dry (I've tried~!), you can try and soak it first then peel (never tried this, but use a knife! shake and scoop out the seeds (which is why you probably should do this dry). and then soak them in a mild bleach solution if you want (this keeps them from molding) and rinse thoroughly and dry them in the sun.
Hope this helps.

Back