Loki is ill

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hedgehogs were improving and steadily being taken off the medication list we find ways to get enough down them. Then the world threw a curve ball. I think I have what the hedgehogs have. I am absolutely miserable with a fever of over 103 and terrible vertigo. Basically all the symptoms of salmonella and then some.

Oh boy!!! Hopefully your husband is well and can take care of the hedgies until you're better... I could totally envision this going back around to them!

Sending healthy vibes to you and the hedgies.

We've decided to take a different approach. My husband found info that it's normal for weanlings to have some salmonella outbreak and in humans they don't treat it unless you are immune compromised and end up in the hospital. It just prolongs it to treat it with antibiotics. So we are going to stop the meds and load them up with benebac and acidophilus to fight with good bacteria instead of trying to kill the salmonella which is apparently naturally there. Most animals I've had will just lick benebac paste off your finger which would make things so much easier.

If you’re dealing with salmonella, that info on not treating doesn’t sound right at all for hedgies. Yes, I see where on the human CDC site, it says that as a possibility... but these aren't humans. I think it would be best to really go back to basics in terms of quarantining the hedgies from one another (the exception, of course, being the babies needing to be with their mother to nurse).

By quarantining, I mean, get some Sterilite tubs as temporary homes. Clean those out really well. Personally, I’d go with bleach and water. Rinse. Let dry. Rinse again. Let dry. Then put the each hedgie in a separate tub (again, with the exception of babies who need to nurse – keep them together). Then clean the heck out of their regular cages. Clean their laundry. Their toys. Their wheels. Their dishes. Their everything. Get them all back on meds. Yes, acidophilus will help settle their bellies in between their med doses. But not just on its own… not for salmonella.

After their original homes are cleaned, put them back there with their newly cleaned laundry, toys, etc… and clean the heck out of the temporary homes. I’d do something like this:
Day 1: clean temp homes and belongings
Day 2: transition hedgies to temp homes; clean permanent homes
Day 3: keep cleaning
Day 4: transition hedgies to permanent homes; clean temp homes & belongings
Day 5: keep cleaning
Day 6: transition hedgies to temp homes; clean permanent homes
Day 7 through until everyone is better: Keep up the quarantine and meds…

During this, you’ll also need to pay attention to yourself and how things can be transmitted through you: wash your arms & hands and change shirts in between handling each hedgie and their belongings in addition to beforehand and afterwards. Yeah, it’s a pain in the rear, but much better than spreading stuff back and forth all the time. Use hot water in the washer; dry on high heat. You want to kill this bug off. It shouldn’t just hang out in your home or your herd.

Also take a look at where this might have come from originally. I know there’s been a recall of several brands of cat food recently for salmonella contamination. Double-check what you have against the recall lists currently out there (and posted on the boards).

It's showing up in adults after 2-3months and first showed up in Loki 3 months after we got him. We had already bred him to cinni and had him in with sunoo at that time.

Cinni showed symptoms about 3 months from being exposed to Loki. All the hoglets of cinni developed it before they could be weaned. Cinni recovered as fast as Loki and neither have had a relapse. The hoglets on the other hand are in individual plastic containers and just keep getting sick. We thought the cinnamon colored had recovered but my husband says her cage was a mess again. They've surpassed the days they were suppose to take the antibiotic. The antibiotics are too hard on the hoglets and they relapse as soon as they go off them.

I called upon a long-time hedgie owner's assistance in getting a more informed view on hedgies and salmonella since treating it with Benebac alone didn't sound quite right to me. I'd like to share the information I received:

"According to the Washington State University Veterinary Program and the Clinical Lab. yes it is normal for all hedgehogs to carry salmonella. Stress from weaning, and moving into new homes tends for some salmonella to pop to the surface. What is explained to me, is that if they are NOT ill, do not treat. If they show signs of salmonella they should be treated, re-tested and treated again if need be."

To me, it seems that getting back on prescribed meds to treat it is the way to go. I hope you and your hedgies are doing alright!

Back