Living in two places?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sage12

Hi there! I have not been on in a while. My parents are taking a break and my mom is moving out. I am not quite old enough to move out yet. I will be with both parents an equal amount of time. I have two options for my chinchilla. I could have her stay at my moms. My mom would take care of her, but Sage is really attached to me. She would not get the same amount attention than if I was with her all the time. There is a possibilty that I could get her a companion. The other option is to have two cages. I would bring her with me whenever I changed houses. This is what I would like to do. I am just worried this would stress her out too much. Any suggestions would be great!

Hi there! I have not been on in a while. My parents are taking a break and my mom is moving out. I am not quite old enough to move out yet. I will be with both parents an equal amount of time. I have two options for my chinchilla. I could have her stay at my moms. My mom would take care of her, but Sage is really attached to me. She would not get the same amount attention than if I was with her all the time. There is a possibilty that I could get her a companion. The other option is to have two cages. I would bring her with me whenever I changed houses. This is what I would like to do. I am just worried this would stress her out too much. Any suggestions would be great!
changing locations like that, that often will just cause her unnesscary stress. My opinion would be to have her stay with ur mom and visit as often as u can, and getting her a companion definalty wouldn't hurt the situation

It really comes down to how often are you switching between homes? Like every week or a few months? If it's more then once a month I wouldn't bother uprooting her. It also depend on how far away each house is, as well as the chin herself. Some chins are chill about travel others freak out.

As far as getting her a companion, I would keep in mind that bonding is a process, it can take anywhere from days (after the month of quarintine) to years if you stick with it that long, and some chins just never like each other. That will mean needing to have two cages for at least as long as it takes to bond them, if not for their whole lives. You will first want to quarantine the new chin from your current one for 30 days, that allows the new chin to settle in as well as for any illness to show up before exposing your current chin.

Back