Liver Disease & Low WBCs in 10 yr old Chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rin

Hi,

I just found out that my 10 year old chin has liver disease and low WBCs/Platelets in her blood. Is this common / curable? She's been prescribed antibiotics and liver enzyme supplements for 2 weeks. Not sure if that will help her and she HATES the medicine and gets super upset when I have to force feed it to her. Any advice / tips / recommendations??

I can't really help too much, but I do know liver disease is common in chins that were fed an improper diet/treats. Most common if fed fatty/oily things things like seeds and nuts, but sugary food fruits can also lead to liver and kidney disease over time. I'm not saying that is the issue with your chin, but I know there is still a lot of bad/old info being spread and pet stores sell a ton of unsafe stuff that people think is safe because it has a chinchilla on it or says "for chinchillas".

However if it is the case, and the liver isn't too far gone, I have heard some people have had some luck with diet change to a more strict pellet and hay only diet with no treats at all. You can also try a liver supplement like this Liver problems, hepatic lipidosis in chinchillas, rabbits, guinea pigs the link also has some more info on causes of liver problems.

I can't really help too much, but I do know liver disease is common in chins that were fed an improper diet/treats. Most common if fed fatty/oily things things like seeds and nuts, but sugary food fruits can also lead to liver and kidney disease over time. I'm not saying that is the issue with your chin, but I know there is still a lot of bad/old info being spread and pet stores sell a ton of unsafe stuff that people think is safe because it has a chinchilla on it or says "for chinchillas".

However if it is the case, and the liver isn't too far gone, I have heard some people have had some luck with diet change to a more strict pellet and hay only diet with no treats at all. You can also try a liver supplement like this Liver problems, hepatic lipidosis in chinchillas, rabbits, guinea pigs the link also has some more info on causes of liver problems.
Thank you. She's only had pellets and hay. I'm very strict about no treats or very few. The vet has given some medication, including a liver supplement. Hoping that works.

Back