Litterbox recommendations?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jawramik

Hello again! Sorry for all the questions, but the responses I've been getting have been super helpful, so I've got another question!

What do you all use for litter boxes? We initially purchased our girl a plastic rabbit litterbox....then I learned that I really shouldn't have any plastic in the cage, so I ordered a cute ceramic one off Etsy....which got lost during shipping and the seller is currently sold out. *facepalm* I was unable to find anything else suitable on Etsy that was currently in stock.

I'd really like to have something that attaches to the side of the cage. She's been moving the plastic one all over the place (it's designed to attach, but doesn't line up correctly with the type of cage bars she has). She still doesn't seem to be chewing it, but I'd still like to replace it with something safer ASAP.

I know QCC makes a chin litter box....but it's insanely expensive for what it is. I'm sure it's a great product, but I figure there has to be more budget-friendly option.

Could I use something like a glass or metal baking dish? It seems like that might be safer than the plastic thing, unless there's something I'm not considering. I was thinking of perhaps just trying to use something like that unless/until I can find something better.

Are there any brands or online vendors I might want to check out? I haven't had much luck on Etsy, Amazon, or Chewy. It's so frustrating that the vast majority of small animal litter boxes are plastic!! Most small animals chew. You'd think there would be more demand for chew-proof litter boxes!

I just use a glass baking dish, the rocks in the middle is for him to sit on while he pees. The dish is pretty heavy, especially with the rocks in it so it doesn't really move.

20211018_141243.jpg
I used a metal baking pan in the past but it ended up rusting after a few years.

Thanks for your reply! I'll see what sort of baking dishes we have in glass, metal, or ceramic.

I have a triangle plastic one that is safe for chinchilla that goes into the corner, it has some hooks to attach to the bars but as you said it not always work so similar to Amethyst I use a heavy rock to keep it in place, you can have a rock inside or outside the litterbox.

I have a triangle plastic one that is safe for chinchilla that goes into the corner, it has some hooks to attach to the bars but as you said it not always work so similar to Amethyst I use a heavy rock to keep it in place, you can have a rock inside or outside the litterbox.
Yeah, I already have a plastic corner pan for her, I'm just concerned about her chewing the plastic. She doesn't seem to be chewing it yet, but I'd feel better having something chew-proof instead.

The ceramic one that got lost in the mail was also a corner pan that attached to the cage with the washer/wingnut hookup. It was perfect! 😭 I'm so bummed it's out of stock and I can't order another one right now.

I'll probably just use a baking pan unless/until I can find another chew-proof corner pan.

The rocks are an interesting idea! I'm assuming I can just collect one or two from the garden. Do I need to do anything special to clean them? I'd of course scrub them off in the sink, but do I need to boil or bake them or wash them in bleach or anything like that?

The rocks are an interesting idea! I'm assuming I can just collect one or two from the garden. Do I need to do anything special to clean them? I'd of course scrub them off in the sink, but do I need to boil or bake them or wash them in bleach or anything like that?
The idea is for some reason chins like to sit on rocks to pee, so they need to be big enough for the chin to sit on, as well as nonporous so the pee doesn't get inside. Just scrub with hot water and soap to clean, do not boil them, if there is an air pocket inside the rock can explode. If you are really worried about sanitizing it you can soak it in bleach, then rinse really well, but I've never bothered.

The idea is for some reason chins like to sit on rocks to pee, so they need to be big enough for the chin to sit on, as well as nonporous so the pee doesn't get inside. Just scrub with hot water and soap to clean, do not boil them, if there is an air pocket inside the rock can explode. If you are really worried about sanitizing it you can soak it in bleach, then rinse really well, but I've never bothered.
Thanks! That's pretty much what I figured, but I just wanted to double-check.

I went ahead and swapped out her plastic pan for a glass baking pan (and not a moment too soon, I found what appeared to be some faint little teeth marks on one corner of the plastic pan, so it looks like she was starting to nibble on it).

I was concerned that changing her litter pan would undo some or all of her progress on litter training (she'd gotten pretty good about using it), but so far so good! She's definitely peeing in the new pan and I haven't found any wet spots on her fleece. And it's too heavy for her to drag around, so this one actually stays put! Yay!!

Thank you both for your feedback and suggestions!

Back