Litter pan/box idea for chin that kicks out shavings in the pan

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hqt5009

Hi. In the past few days, I noticed that more than half of the shavings that I put in my chin's litter box (pyrex baking dish) were out on the fleece floor every morning when I got up to clean her cage. She must had kicked the shavings out during the night. This makes the cage really messy and hard to clean. I would really appreciate if someone could provide ideas for litter pan/box that would prevent this from happening or any ways to discourage this behavior. Thanks!

probably none.. My girls do this as well. The only thing that i could possibly suggest is to give them plenty of things to do or distractions. Wheel, chew items, etc. Thing to keep there focus and use up some energy. But they will probably continue to do it anyway.

Would it help at all to put a largish tile down first on the fleece, and then put the litter pan on top of the tile? That way if they kick litter out of the dish, it might be a bit easier to clean as hopefully most of it might stay on the tile? Although, I suppose if they're *really* kicking it around everywhere, this wouldn't do much...

Thanks for all of your advice. I actually bought a deeper/taller baking dish as the new litter box and only fill half of the dish with shavings. So far she hasn't kicked any shavings out again, hopefully it will stay this way!

I use a lipped bowl that came from a thing of flowers. It's wide and deep and the lip prevents Milo from kicking out the shavings.

Back