Line breeding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Encantadora

LvL Chinchillas
When you line breed, what is your process? How many times do you cross back generations? I've heard father/daughter works if they are good enough.

I've line bred, and I would never cross that close but I'm sure some have. I usually go every other generation when I linebreed. For example, have two awesome males. Maybe male A has everything but could use a teeny bit of size and male B has the size but maybe needs a little neck. I take the female, cross to male A. Her offspring to male B...and if they're good enough...THEIR offspring to male A again.

It would make me nervous crossing that close to.

So you use grand-sires to grand-daughters basically? Is that as far as you take it or do you cross back at some point?

I was told by a rancher to breed daughter to father which I will never do. I do believe people do this. How about 1/2 siblings with the same father? If the female is RGSC and the male is CC.

Encantadora- this IS usually as far as I take it, grandsire to granddaughter, though I do go back and fourth from line A to line B every other generation when appropriate.

Snickers- while I don't USUALLY do half sibling crosses, I would NOT hesitate to do so if the circumstances were right. The inbreeding coefficient is the same for half siblings as it is for grandparent to grandchild and that is 12.5%. With parent to offspring or full siblings the inbreeding coefficient is double that and much too high for my liking.

I've heard people say the same thing about breeding dogs. Breed the female back to her father. Not doing that here either, regardless of who says it's right.

I was at a field day and a well known rancher spoke on line breeding and he said he would breed based on what the outcome could be regardless of how close related the chins were, he said father daughter, mother son, sister brother it did not matter, what mattered was what was produced.

We have not done much line breeding here. But we have had success once when we bred two half siblings together to get our GSC of a show.

Yes, linebreeding has it's place and if you're using two awesome animals then the results may also be awesome. Linebreeding and inbreeding make any given trait more homozygous in the offspring. If it's a good trait (size, clarity, density) great! If it's a bad trait such as chewing, malo or poor size...not so good.

I can see a place for INBREEDING...but I'm not personally going to do it or recommend doing it. Just me.

You are absolutely right Vyxxin you must be careful when doing it because if there is something bad in the genes then you are making that just as locked in or prominent as the positive genes.

I have seen both good and bad results. I grew up on a farm so it was common to breed back to a father with cows and sheep. The only way it works is if you are extremely picky what you keep for breeding and we always crossed out the next generation to ensure the level of health. I haven't ever personally bred back my chins but I would think it would wo the same way.

Back