Lifelong cage-mate is gone. Now what?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetwomuses

one of my two lovely rescue girls passed away a week ago from surgery complications for dental damage from her past neglect. I'm worried about her sister. They're both 5 and have always been together. Would a new cage-mate make her happiest? And if so how long should I wait? There's an 8 year old girl up for adoption nearby (also a 3 and 5 year old but my girl has a history of abuse). I know if introductions don't take I need to house them separately and I'm prepared for that. Otherwise, please can I get some input and advice on what would be best for her? Thank you

I would give your current chin time to grieve, I would wait until she is acting normal before trying to introduce a new chin. Just like humans grief is an individual thing and there is not time limit, could be days, weeks, or months. Since new ones should be quarantined for 30 days anyway, if you want another chin right now you could get another one now. The 30 days allows any illness to show up before exposing your current chin, as well as allows the new chin to settle in and for you to get to know each other. Once the quarantine is over that might be long enough for the current chin to be willing to except a new friend. Do keep in mind though that not all chins get along with all other chins, so there is no real guarantee they will get along. If you get another get it because you want one not just in hopes it will make her happy.

For now I would just give your chin extra love and attention, maybe get some new toys or cage accessories (tunnel, hiding house, hammock, etc) to help keep her mind focused on other things. If she is ok with it (some chins freak out) you can also try rearranging the cage so things don't look the same especially if they use to spend time together in a specific spot.

Honestly I'm confused because she is acting normal already? She does still look for her sister sometime and it breaks my heart every time but I've been giving her so many hours of free roam that I think the distraction method you recommended is working. She seems more bored than anything...
Is it possible for them to get too used to being alone? That's my concern about waiting too long...
She's also a big talker so I think even a neighbour chinchilla not cagemate would make her happy but then I feel bad for the new girl...
There's an 8 year-old used to living with others in new groups nearby (ex breeder situation) so I think that's a good sign?
Thank you for your detailed reply by the way. I'm so lost right now so it's incredibly helpful.
I would give your current chin time to grieve, I would wait until she is acting normal before trying to introduce a new chin. Just like humans grief is an individual thing and there is not time limit, could be days, weeks, or months. Since new ones should be quarantined for 30 days anyway, if you want another chin right now you could get another one now. The 30 days allows any illness to show up before exposing your current chin, as well as allows the new chin to settle in and for you to get to know each other. Once the quarantine is over that might be long enough for the current chin to be willing to except a new friend. Do keep in mind though that not all chins get along with all other chins, so there is no real guarantee they will get along. If you get another get it because you want one not just in hopes it will make her happy.

For now I would just give your chin extra love and attention, maybe get some new toys or cage accessories (tunnel, hiding house, hammock, etc) to help keep her mind focused on other things. If she is ok with it (some chins freak out) you can also try rearranging the cage so things don't look the same especially if they use to spend time together in a specific spot.

It is possible that she isn't having a hard time with loss then, not all do. It also could very well just be you are keeping her entertained so she isn't dwelling on it. They can get use to being alone if they spend many years alone, like a good chunk of their life. Doing a normal 30 day quarantine is not going to be enough time for her to become set in her ways to the point of not being use to having another chin around. I do agree that even a neighbor can be beneficial to another chin even if they don't get along it gives them another animal that can "speak chinchilla" to. I also have had chins that enjoyed playmates but didn't want to share a cage. The other chin being use to other chins is a good sign that it's not a chin that prefers living alone, but not all chins like all other chins, just not all humans like all other humans. Chins all each have their own personality so if the personalities clash it likely wont work, for example having both chins be ones that want to be boss.

Back