Lets see those cages!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi ~

Im new, and this is one of my first post

Im worry, Sam's cage floor have straw or sawdust, that woody thingy... but the breeder had this kind of thing on theirs hedgies cages... And I see all those cutie cages with soft floor... I havent seen that ones on the stores... Im worried for Sam health, I have read about the dust and that... what should I do? Sorry if this post is misplaced

Liners can be made or purchased and reduce dust and possibility of mites. They are usually made out of corduory or flannel and fleece. If you plan on making your own, make sure no thread are exposed, wash the materials with unscented laundry soap if possible. I have had less problems with skin and my own allergies due to the switch. I also find it much easier to manage.

I generally wash them in the laundry machine (hot wash, double cold rinse) with an unscented laundry soap. Your cage should have a solid floor, preferably plastic so that it can be rinsed out every so often. I don't recommend wood as it is hard to keep clean and sanitary. For the C&C cages you see pictured in this thread, they have used chloroplast for a bottom (plastic poster board cut to fit, available from most hardware stores.)

This is a close up of one level. We change the set up weekly so this is from when I first arranged the items:
DSC_0062.jpg

*Lisa*, what did you use to attach the walls to the ramp/walls to the 2nd level, to the rest of the cage? Also, how did you get the hole in the wall for the 2nd level so that the ramp can lead into it? I was initially just gonna cut out Coroplast so that it fit as a wall, but I didn't know how to fit it so it wouldn't fall. I'm looking to do something like this to my Ferret Nation when I get my hedgie, but I'm afraid it will fall apart completely the moment I touch it!

I'll answer for Lisa since she isn't on here much anymore.

I am certain she used plastic zip ties. Zip ties work for everything and hold pieces together well.

Cut the small wires to make an opening in the grid. You don't need to cut the big one around the outside edge. That's what I did and that's what I recommended to Lisa when she was building her level.

Alright thanks Nancy! One more quick question...is it worth getting another liner for the top "loft" of the cage, or will most fabric work? I was thinking of having her wheel up there, which also means having the majority of her..."presents"...up there as well, so a I'm thinking a liner will be best. I'm assuming this is more based on opinion than anything else, but I'm curious since my last hedgie would have absolutely nothing to do with the 2nd level and therefor I don't know. Thanks again!

I got him a wheel but it's to small so I have to get him a new one.
He has another house but I switched it out for the tunnel and he has a second level that I have to figure out how to attach it haha.
6hrp7r.jpg

^nice feets :neener:

Leo's 12sqft Cage

Here's Leo's cage:

It's 2' x 3' - so with the two levels it's 12sqft for him to run and play. I'd build on a "deck" or playpen if we had the room.

He has a thing that goes round and round and a pvc connector on the lower level.

His igloo/long house, food, and water on are on the top level.

The bottom door swing out like french doors. The top level is accessed by moving the "lid" (baby gate) that Honey is stting on.

(Yeah, we let the cats sit up there to see out the window. No one has an interest in bothering Leo. (Although Rose (another kitty) likes to occasionally find her way into the cage and sleep with him!)

Here is Sophie's Cage:
I had her originally in a large rabbit cage but I noticed that the heat didn't stay in very well and I could never turn off the heat lamp which will run my electric bill dry and my father will kill me. So now I went out and got two plastic bins and the heat is staying in so much better! I don't have to leave the heat emitter on all day like I did with the rabbit cage because it stays so warm most of the time!
So she has a sleeping room and an exercise room :) She seems very happy with it so far!

Sleeping Room
DSCN0187.jpg

Exercise Room
DSCN0188.jpg

All Together
DSCN0189.jpg

Sophie
DSCN0176.jpg

I have a quick question, has anyone ever experienced the hedgehogs chewing or ruffling the fabric liners? I plan on getting a hedgehog, and I want to potty train him and use buy a few liners.

My cage is ready, hedgehog is not

hedgie001.jpg
hedgie002.jpg
hedgie003.jpg

Mine doesn't look as exciting as everyone else's, but hopefully my hedgie will like it! Everyone has said that Heavenly Hedgehogs in Portsmouth, VA, is reputable, but she hasn't responded to my last two emails about picking up my hedgehog and I am getting pretty anxious. I paid a deposit already and I'm ready for my hedgie!

Haven't put the litter in and I'm still going to buy some toys and try to make one of the sleep pouches, maybe that will make it look better.

Hi all,

This is my new cage that I have finally been able to get for Filbert. Out here in Madrid you cannot find C&C cages so I had to make do with what I could find. Im still not entirely sure that it is Filbert proof but I am hoping he will be so happy inside that he will have no urge to try and find a way out!

Susi

Attachments

• DSC_0763.jpg
    DSC_0763.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC_0764.jpg
    DSC_0764.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC_0766.jpg
    DSC_0766.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 82
Mace and Khaki's cages

Hey guys! I finally cleaned and put all fleece liners in Mace and Khaki's cages. One is set on top of the other, like bunk beds. The space heater is right next to the cage/beds on the right hand side. You may be able to see it.

khakiscage.jpg

Khaki's cage

macescage.jpg

Mace's cage, of course he's in his bed.

squishkhaki.jpg

Khaki wanted to squish herself apparently. She stayed there for a good 3 minutes just looking at me.

khakiberky.jpg

My puppy Berkley loves to watch Khaki running. His crate is on the other side of the space heater.

This is the new cage we got! I love it!!! She loves to snuggle under the 2nd floor. And we got it for $25 off of craigslist!

Attachments

• sonic.jpg
    sonic.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 73
You guys have such cute cages for your hedgies! I wish desperately that I could get my boy potty trained, but he just refuses to so I eventually gave up on using fleece liners. Sadly, the ones I had were so cute, some were like rockstar patterned and the others were pirates, and I switched them out every week or so for a good washing.

His cage now is a little small, I feel bad, but he gets out every night to play with us and plays in his playpen for a few hours a night. Sleeps anyway, but oh well. :p

(I've given lots of hits to my boyfriend that I'm really wanting a C&C cage for my birthday or Christmas coming up so maybe he'll be upgraded soon!)

Back