Lets see those cages!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ziggy has a new cage!!

I built a new 3-level C&C condo which has Ziggy living on the top floor, my Russian Tortoises on the middle floor, and space for storage on the bottom floor. I used 5 boxes of storage grids from Bed, Bath, and Beyond, 2 sheets of coroplast, about 500 zip-ties, and some metal pipes from Home Depot for support. The doors for each level swing down for easy access, and I secure them at the top with heavy-duty paperclips when I want them closed.

Ziggy's living space is now 48" x 26" and the coroplast walls are 9.25" high. (I really don't think he could squeeze through the square holes, but I don't want to take any chances!) I still have the two 150w heat emitters hooked up to a Zilla Temp Controller, and a UV strip light set on a 12-hour timer.

To see more photos of the new condo, I have a Flickr set here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/drpepperheather/sets/72157618982538430/

3576746429_4090d6c953.jpg
3577550434_81c07a2a8c.jpg

3577550518_b5bfd24ff7.jpg

3576746091_23024ee4f6.jpg
3576746143_6661226ee4.jpg

I'd like to know everyone's opinion about Zoo Zone cages. This is the cage I have since Litchi is with me. I was told at that time I should never use a cage with side wire cause she would clim and get injured. Since the look of Sterlight bin was'nt apealing for us, we chose that cage.

Over at hedgeog central, namy people said this cage wasn't recomended because of bad ventilation. I was plaing on ugrading Litchi's cage the minute I have a job with a bigger Zoo Zone, now I guess I have to look intoo something else, I don't know.

here's a pic of a zoo zone cage
zoozone-animal-critter-7519-5174_zoom.jpg

I use puppy pads in my hedies cage.
I felt it was simpler than washing a lot of fabric everyday and he has a fleece blanket that he sleeps in.
I have been told not to use the puppy pads though, does anyone know if it is ok to continue using them.
If not why?
Thanks

Because it has chemicals in them to attract the puppy to the pad. You can always use liners but you don't have to wash them everyday. You can place them in a separate bag/bucked and when you have 3-4 wash them.

Hello! I saw your cage and I LOVE the design! I was wondering if you could tell me where you got all your materials! Thanks! :)

Your Cage

Here is Penny's princess pad:

2008_0811newpennycage0001.jpg

2008_0811newpennycage0005.jpg

Hello! I saw your cage and I think it is ADORABLE! Could you please tell me where you got all your materials? (Fleece bedding, Sleeping Bag, Tent, etc.)

Thank you! :)

Sookie's setup. Nothing fancy, but pretty functional thus far.

I do plan on upgrading to a ferret nation cage shortly.

Sookie071.jpg

She likes it though! ;)
Sookie072.jpg

The new Ferret Nation setup. First, an overall view:
S6300390.jpg

Ronnie's half (on top). Since this pic was taken, I've moved her kleenex box over to the other side so she can have easier access to her litter box. Her food and water are against the door close to her kleenex box. Also, their temps are kept at 78F, not 74F as you see on the thermometer. The CHE was still warming up.
S6300391.jpg

And here's a video of Ronnie's first moments in her new home:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yuGfA6qzco

Phoebe's half (on bottom). She moved her food dish to the opposite side of the cage every night for a week, so I gave in and now it's on the opposite side from where you see it in the picture.
S6300392.jpg

And a video of Phoebe's first moments in her new home.... not quite as brave as Ronnie!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8Mn8b1uXJk

i am in LOOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEE with your set up! :bowdown:

where did you get your cage?

Her cage is a ferret nation. You can find them on the web and I believe PetSmart carries them.

The only two story ones i can find have a ramp from the second to the first floor. :hmm: Did you modify yours?

Everyone's cages look so amazing. I just have my little guy in a storage bin. I'll post a pic later, after I've cleaned out his home.

Can't get a picture. My room's not bright enough for my laptop camera to capture the image well enough. But, I may be getting a new cage in the next few days. Wish me luck. *crosses fingers*

Finally got my cage pics on the computer. The first is the whole setup, and the second is a closeup of Angel's accessories, made by Nancy of course! What you can't see because of the angle (taking a pic from the top would require taking the lamp off, which I've discovered is a total pain!) are her toys (a soft ball and a car are what I keep in there regularely) and her food/water dishes, which are just black ceramic.
img0900shrunk.jpg

img0901shrunk.jpg

Last edited:
cheezit and sassy's cage. :D

13553_1111483149014_1284930999_30545234_7322949_n.jpg

they both live on top for now. they LOVE eachother.
im thinking about making it a one level 2x4, since the bottom cage is empty.

Back