Lethargic and Drooling Chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josephomega434

So he is 7. He just had his teeth floated on May 12th. I know drooling means his teeth are overgrown but I had it taken care of already. He got home and was normal. Hopping, ate a little, acted normal. Well Tonight he is different. He isn't moving really at all. He is still drooling. Hasn't eaten all day. I gave him 0.2 mL of meloxidyl for pain as the vet told me to do tonight and last night. Can someone please help or point me in the right direction? Vet doesn't open till 7:30 am and I'm paranoid he is really sick or just something is wrong. Any help is appreciated!

Did your chin get any better I just got back from the clinic my chin had his teeth trimmed and has the same side effects I’m so scared help me pls is it bad is it normal for them to act like this after the anesthesia ?

Teeth issues require radiographs (xrays) and should never be filed if there is root eruption into the eye sockets, nasal cavity or through the lower jawbone. Most vets don't understand that chinchilla malocclusion is also root based, eg while the surface of the teeth can be floated/trimmed that does nothing for the roots if they are growing through the skull and eye sockets.

I've attached a comparison I did awhile back between a chinchilla with healthy teeth and someone who's chin had malocclusion. Even though a vet could have filed the surface of these teeth and clipped the fronts to help them chew there is nothing that can be done to fix the root that has ruptured into the sinus cavity and causing a blockage. The kindest thing to do is PTS in this scenario.

Attachments

• MaloComparison2.jpg
    MaloComparison2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 7
Back