Let the intros begin!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anna

I love my FurBlobs.
I dare say it has been a month since I adopted Little Hebe from Tab! So he is out f quarantine. I'm going to hopefully pair him with Waldo. I've placed Hebe's cage next to Waldo's. Any suggestions as to make an intro work?
Thanks

Nope, but I sure do wish you luck! I find it so weird how some people just throw 2 chins together and it works out and how some of us follow the steps, do all the prep and it still doesn't work out! Anyway, I hope Waldo and Hebe will be great friends!

i did a lot of shared play time with my two boys, then cage swapping, then supervised time together in one cage. i took 6 months to intro my boys, but most people don't go as slow as i did (i had lots of time and wasn't in any rush, so decided to take it easy and let the boys guide me on when they were ready for the next intro steps).

I just throw the chins together and so far had luck with it. I find it easier to put males together than females.

:)I adopted my second chin 4-year old Jeffy in January from a neglected family; quarantined him for almost 2 months; put the cage side by side for 2 months; let the chins smelled each other in the 3rd month, housed the chins successfully in the 4th month.

I took it slow while my bf urged to put them together as soon as we got Jeffy. BUT during the introduction time (about 2 months), our first chin Chester got his little fingers bitten by Jeffy twice through the cage's bars, we went back and forth to decide if it was intentional or accidental to a point that we thought they should not be housed together ever. We still did not let them play together at the time. They had their seperate play time. And we were planning to build a brand new 5 feet cage just for Jeffy.

BUT, We noticed whenever Chester was let out and play, first thing he did was to go check out Jeffy, somehow Chester kept going back to see Jeffy even he got bitten twice! So we thought they must have liked each other....

One night we just knew it was about time to let them played together,we made sure that they were in a spacious room because we found that Jeffy was too eager/aggressive when the room was small (e.g.bathroom). So they ran around the living room and gradually they became inseperable :)
We did not do the cage swaping, changing toys...etc

I think, we were kind of lucky, Chester is a mellow younger chin, so it was easier for him to accept a new chin. I do not have alot of expereince introducing chins but we got luck! So good luck to you! :wink2:

shared playtime and deffinetly put bath house in there too
when I intro mine the first few playtimes I nearly cried but when I put the bath house too it seemed to cool their jets
plus in both cages have place/house they can go to so they don't have to look at each other if they don't want to

okay!! thanks guys, i think i'll start with some supervised playtime and then maybe switch up waldo with one of my other chins so that when i cage them together it will be a neutral environment? what do you all think of that idea?
thank yooou
:heart:

Back