Less poop with antibiotics

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazy

So, my chinchilla is recovering from an infection and the baytril has made her not want to eat or drink. I'm feeding her CC, but of course she's constipated as well from the baytril lol. She isn't pooping as much as usual. Would you say that's rather normal for being on antibiotics with induced constipation while only eating CC? Don't worry...she gets a LOT of CC maybe 72 or more ml a day. She has her recheck tomorrow. Just so long as her gut doesn't stop moving completely. She will go the moment I let her out too, but only a little and a bit inconsistent time lapse wise. Just it seems like when she's in her cage sleeping she doesn't go.
I don't think I've ever heard this answer. Or if anyone even has an answer to this or if it's different for every chinchilla but, how often hour wise are chinchillas supposed to go?
Even when my girls are healthy it seems like there are times when they don't poop for a while even when out. Maybe right after sleeping because of not eating?
Just want to know how long should I wait to see droppings from her before I should worry that she's bound up.

Yes, it is common. The baytril attacks all bacteria in the gut- good and bad. The good bacteria helps with healthy digestion.

You can help her out by supplementing with acidophilus. Give it in between doses as the baytril. If they are given at the same time, the baytril will just kill off most of the acidophilus.

lol I had been giving her the probiotic the vet gave me right after the baytril 2 days in a row then on the third day I was like.."Oh my God, I'm so stupid it's probably killing it all off!"
What is acidophilus found in?
I'm using bene-bac the vet is giving me. I've used it in several occasions. The chins love it and I love it!
And now my cat is chewing on a picture frame -__-;

Oh um..she has had ever since I got her white discharge from her left eye. It's not like pouring out, but some days it seems to be more than others. I have been to different vets for this. Tried antibiotic eyedrops, steroid eyedrops, looked to make sure the eye wasn't scratched. She ahs her eye looked at again everytime she goes in for something (she goes in a lot, she's accident prone. Don't judge her D: She face planted jumping off a 5 in surface and can run into things face first sometimes), tried a warm compress on her eye as well but I think it only cleaned it up because the towel was wet. Plus, she has a tendancy to do a vibrational shaking and she REALLY doesn't like when I mess with her eye. She seems to always get hairs or or something in her eye. I don't think she is able to drain it out.
Any ideas? Clearly if it was an infection it would be gone by now from the antibiotics in the past she's been on. Sorry, a bit off topic but still on the same girl.

Last edited:
Tooth roots can grow and block the lacrimal drain and cause constant infections that will not clear up unless on lifetime antibiotic drops. It will cause no visible symptoms otherwise in the early stages.

Sorry, lazy late reply. All I've been doing for two weeks is waking up feeding her, eating, going to sleep for a few hours. Then wake up, feed her, eat, go back to sleep for a bit. Repeat many times. Hurray for crazy sleeping and eating! I've been getting hypoglycemia attacks every day now. :0
It may seem like torture to her but for me it's "I'd do just about anything for her."

My vet has looked at her teeth front and back. She said her back teeth have been worn flat. Could it still happen? Also, if she keeps reaching for her crotch and chewing over and over again should I assume she's eating her droppings. I'm not seeing any. Only at night do I see any. She's got to be eating something right?
Would an x-ray solve the question on a tooth root? Any unnecessary trauma would be great. She just had a huge biting spree on me when I tried to rub her tummy a few minutes ago. It hurt :|
The end.

I had a 1000+ gram chinchilla who ate and chewed like normal and elongated, he had perfect teeth.

Yes, an xray would clear up whether the eye issue was due to elongated roots.

Typically when i have a chin on antibiotics who's pooing has slowed down I usually put them in the bathroom for a little bit of playtime to 1) help get the gut moving with exercise 2) to count and inspect poo size/frequency/consistency.

Also, do try to keep rubbing the tummy, especially if poo production slows way down or stops completely.

You might try giving lifeline, either mixed with the CC or with a little water, to encourage appetite. Chocolate chinchillas - Dawn - sells it and its pretty good stuff. Or a little bit of loose alfalfa hay - I find that sometimes that's the only thing a sick chin will eat.

She has an unlimited supply of alfalfa hay to try to help her eat. She did munch on some before, but she isn't now. Yesterday was her last day of meds though! But, by now she's so mad at me that she's biting me when I try to feed her. She wouldn't eat voluntarily this time. Probably because I shoved food at her every two hours yesterday. I'm sure she's sick of the food and my face. :D
She poo's like normal at night it seems but during the day.... :/
I was told to switch her to aspen bedding from carefresh and I did the other day. Something about stimulating her feet, I dunno. I'm allergic to it! LOL
If I touch it my skin itches and stings like crazy. Washing my hands didn't even help. I had to take a benadryl.

So, my chinchilla is recovering from an infection and the baytril has made her not want to eat or drink. I'm feeding her CC, but of course she's constipated as well from the baytril lol. She isn't pooping as much as usual. Would you say that's rather normal for being on antibiotics with induced constipation while only eating CC? Don't worry...she gets a LOT of CC maybe 72 or more ml a day. She has her recheck tomorrow. Just so long as her gut doesn't stop moving completely. She will go the moment I let her out too, but only a little and a bit inconsistent time lapse wise. Just it seems like when she's in her cage sleeping she doesn't go.
I don't think I've ever heard this answer. Or if anyone even has an answer to this or if it's different for every chinchilla but, how often hour wise are chinchillas supposed to go?
Even when my girls are healthy it seems like there are times when they don't poop for a while even when out. Maybe right after sleeping because of not eating?
Just want to know how long should I wait to see droppings from her before I should worry that she's bound up.
Antibiotics can cause appetite loss leading to anorexia. Our vet gives an appetite stimulant medication when giving antibiotics.
Maybe you could ask your vet about that?
I hope she gets better for you soon!

Back