Less Feces

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnhappyRefrain

This is probably going to be a question with no answer, but I noticed that my chin is produced less feces then usual last night. The thing of it is, everything else is entirely normal. The feces are a proper size, color and texture. My chin is still eating, sleeping and playing normally. He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort and his belly is still soft. Can this happen from time to time and be absolutely normal? Am I just being a worry wart?

It can happen from time to time, although you'll want to keep an eye on it. If the stool seems to be drying out at all, becoming narrow/smaller, etc., then you may have a problem. If all things are normal otherwise, just keep an eye on it.

He's actually doing better, but to be safe I'm going to get some alfalfa to coax him into eating more hay.
I would be careful with adding alfalfa unless he is a young kit. Alfalfa is a legume not a grass, it's softer so not as good for tooth wear and is high in calcium, too much calcium can cause urinary tract stones in some chins. You can try adding other kinds of grass hay to the mix though (like orchard or meadow), those can safely be added everyday, unless you already have tried without luck.

This is probably going to be a question with no answer, but I noticed that my chin is produced less feces then usual last night. The thing of it is, everything else is entirely normal. The feces are a proper size, color and texture. My chin is still eating, sleeping and playing normally. He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort and his belly is still soft. Can this happen from time to time and be absolutely normal? Am I just being a worry wart?
Is the water bottle (If you have one) working? I had a young chinny once suddenly poop less and have smaller poops and it turned out they were dehydrated. The water bottle had stopped working.
Also I have another chinchilla that has this happen at least once a year. He just suddenly will have smaller and less poops for a few days and then it increases back to normal. I have had him for 12 years and he has always done this and no reason can be found.
Hopefully your little one is fine. They always keep us worrying don't they?

Is the water bottle (If you have one) working? I had a young chinny once suddenly poop less and have smaller poops and it turned out they were dehydrated. The water bottle had stopped working.
Also I have another chinchilla that has this happen at least once a year. He just suddenly will have smaller and less poops for a few days and then it increases back to normal. I have had him for 12 years and he has always done this and no reason can be found.
Hopefully your little one is fine. They always keep us worrying don't they?
Just when you think you've got em' figured out, they throw you a curve ball! He seems to be doing a lot better. Good thinking about the water bottle. I haven't noticed any issues with it, but I'll keep it in mind for future reference.

Reactions: Mel
Just when you think you've got em' figured out, they throw you a curve ball! He seems to be doing a lot better. Good thinking about the water bottle. I haven't noticed any issues with it, but I'll keep it in mind for future reference.
They really do! Glad he is doing better!

Back