Lava Ledges

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zahrii

Usually I make sure my two chins have two lava ledges at all times, but they've already chewed through one and broke it off the mount (now it's just a chunk on the cage floor) and about halfway chewed through the second one. During these Coronavirus times, I'm not sure if I'll be able to find more lava ledges for them that aren't overpriced. I tried a brand other than Kaytee (I know, I know, terrible brand, but their lava ledges are decent) and it was pretty good, but I found it in a pet store and they are now out of stock. Hopefully I can buy another Kaytee one like I normally do on Amazon when they chew through the second ledge, but what should I do if I can't? Are there any good replacements? They already have access to wood slices, sticks, vine/willow toss toys, two garlands with wood chunks, pumice, willow balls, and loofah slices on it, and their average wood ledges that they chew on from time to time. I also have some pumice stones that I can break up since they like it in pieces more, but even then they aren't as interested in it as they are with lava ledges. They still grind them up though, just at a slower pace.

So long as you have chew toys it should be fine. I think chins just like the lava ledges and lava bites , as well as the Ware lava bar and lava star (minus the rope) more because they are "softer" due to the air bubbles making them more fun to destroy.

It sounds like you have an awesome selection of toys already.
You can get them on chewy.com, it looks like they may be on sale too, if need be but by the sounds of the chews you have if they happen to run out of lava ledges for a bit they will be okay.

Yeah i am in the same situation. I have pieces of pumice and broken lava ledges in there but haven't bought new ones yet due to the chaos. She has pine chews, willow, sea grass, loofah, finger traps, Himalayan stones, coconut shells, apple orchard sticks etc. and while she is chewing on tiny pieces on pumice and lava ledges till there is nothing left, she has plenty of other toys and when the chaos ends she will get new lava ledges.

Back