Large shaft

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xentik

Hi. One of my chinchillas is having unusually (at least I think its unusually) large shaft. I can't really recall if he has been always like that, I just started paying attention to it lately. Compared to my other chin, the shaft is noticeable bigger and it somehow "hangs down", when the chin is walking he almost always touches the ground with it.

We went to our exotic pet vet which we know is very experienced with chinchillas, he examined the penis for hair rings and any worrying sings, but he said everything is very good and that the shaft is in fact quite big, but it might be just his "nautral" look. No infections etc, everything good.

My question is, have you ever experienced something like this? I feel like I might be overreacting (like I always do), but its better to ask. :)

The chin is acting normal, he eats a lot (hes pretty heavy chin, 600g :D), no problem with pooping/urinating, he is active.

Cant really attach photos atm. due to my phone is in repair.

Do you mean the cone is long? or his actual penis is sticking out of the cone? If his penis is sticking out that is not a good sign and can cause damage to it as well as dry out since it's suppose to be tucked inside the cone unless in use. If it's just the cone is long, then yeah that can be normal, some are longer then others, so long as he isn't scraping it on things causing cuts or anything it should be ok.

600g isn't that big for a domestic chin, it's around average for a pet chin. Most pet chins are around 400-800g and show chins can reach over 1,000g the biggest I've seen in person was around 1,200g.

Penis is inside. I am talking about the thing that is covering his penis. There are no cuts on the cone its just quite long and big so it touches the ground when he is standing/running/moving etc. The skin is healthy and not inflamed or anything.

My breder told me average male chin weight is around 500g, so I thought 600g is a bit heavy.

Last edited:
Back