Lacking Pellets

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zahrii

I made the mistake and overestimated how much pellet food I have for my chins. I'm not sure how much they have left, maybe two days. But their new food is arriving on Sunday. Can a chinchilla go without pellets for multiple days, or would I have to take an emergency trip to the nearest pet store and hope that they have it?

They can survive on hay alone, it's their primary food anyway. Depending on how much pellets you have, what I've done is just give a couple table spoons worth a day (for my two, so only one tablespoon each) to stretch the pellets out longer. Just make sure the hay is kept topped up since they will be eating more to make up for lack of pellets.

Would there be any difference in their poo I should know if they only have hay for a day or two, so I know nothing is wrong when I see it?

I honestly didn't notice much of a difference in the poop. It might be a tiny bit bigger due to more fiber in the diet, but that's about it.

I noticed that when I was an hour or so late with their pellets (they usually empty both feed bowls at 9-10, and I got home at 11) their latest poop was a bit bigger as you stated and a tad more green and hay-like. Still uniform in shape and wasn't soft at all though, and it went back to normal once I refilled the bowls and they ate. Is that normal?

Yeah sounds about right, it should stay nice and firm and dry, it shouldn't be wet or mushy.

Back