Laboured breathing 😔, please help!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boochin

So I have a 5 year old chinchilla called Boo. Her cage mate Chinney sadly passed away Last October from upper respiratory tract infection. She was 12. Later on boo started to breathe strangely too and became a bit breathless so I took her to the vet and they gave her antibiotics and mucolytic medication. Her symptoms subsided so I thought everything was fine until recently.
Boo is now breathing heavily and her breathing problem worsens when she exercises And takes dust baths. We put her in the same room as our budgies as she was very alone when her best friend died. But I think the dust from the birds may have caused her to become ill. So I moved her out of that room and into my room. I took her to the vet again and this time she gave boo tetracyclines , mucolytics and oral Bronchiodilators. A week on she’s a little better but when she exercises or when she gets stressed out she has laboured breathing but it goes when she calms down. I don’t know what to do now, I really don’t want to be messed around by Vets. I just want to get to the root of the problem. Can someone please help me 🙁. I’m not sure if the antibiotics are working as the 7 day course ended last week.

Back