Kit bit by rat... dragging back legs now

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecscreatures

I have a chinchilla kit who is about 4 weeks old who 2 days ago got out of his cage while I was cleaning my rats cage and one of the rats got a hold of him and ended up biting her on the back now she is dragging his hind legs there are no exotic vets anywhere near me I called my vet they said they weren't sure what to do. he still is eating and drinking and nursingbut now has started to chew on his own foot please anyone with suggestions or advice please please please let me know the vets only suggestion was to euthanize so I need opinions hopefully something else can be done. he also is not able to go to the bathroom on his ownhe is able to go but it just gets stuck on himand he has no feeling in his back feet

There's probably swelling from injury or infection around the spinal cord. I've had it happen in gerbils, 1 guinea pig pup, and rabbits from falls or being grabbed over the spine by other animals. If you can keep them clean and uninjured they often recover on their own but it can take weeks or months. Ideally you'd get an anti inflammatory and antibiotic in the kit.

There is a good chance his spinal cord is injured. He is in pain, that's why he's eating his limbs off. Rats are very strong biters.

Sounds like he also had bowel and bladder issues. I am with the vet on this one. i've never seen any situation similar to this (spinal injury, not rat bite) that turned out well.

Back