Quantcast

Kit anal protusion

Hmarie

We have a two week old kit. All four have been thriving. Tonight at weigh in and petting time we saw the largest, a male, has some kind of slightly bloody (fleshy?) protusion from the anus. What on earth could be going on? His behavior is normal. A vet is in our future but I wanted to see if anyone had any experience.

His daddy just got neutered and that didn't go as well as our previous neuter did. (He's okay it was just a rougher procedure.. The other vet used dissolvable sutures and he was just fine right after. I assumed that was normal but this vet used staples which have to be removed and he has to wear a collar.) Rough times here.

aznmexaggie

Chinchilla Chateau
This is obviously an old post but I want to comment in case any others ever search for this topic. It sounds like this kit has a rectal prolapse. It is when the rectum and/or intestine telescopes out and protrudes from the anus. I have dealt with a couple rectal prolapses over the year but unfortunately, even with surgery (the vet will basically need to push everything back in and stitch it into place), it often occurs again.

Hmarie

You are correct; that's what it was. We had a week I had him back and forth to the vet for surgery and checks . . . the worst aspect was they had to rig him a collar so he couldn't chew the stitch and he couldn't get around in it, so we had to hand feed him for a period. Then they found a tiny little collar so after that he was on his way to recovery. It was definitely an ordeal. At then end though the vet said he was good and it shouldn't happen again. He went to a new home when old enough, in fact, he was the first picked out of his litter. He was so sweet and used to being held even more than normal with all the doctoring (we had to check him all the time and apply a cream, give him oral meds). I told them his history. I just got an update on him yesterday and he is thriving! I had read that it often happened again but I think the exotic vet I found through this process (we have had 2 others over the years who wouldn't or couldn't deal with this issue) was truly phenomenal, and maybe we were lucky. My 12 year old was pretty heartbroken and it was such a blessing that our little Fezzik pulled through. Anyone in OKC, OK area, use Neel Vet Hospital in Bethany. I wouldn't go anywhere else now. They were just so good on every level---kind, called to check, and charged less than their pre-surgery estimate.

Latest posts