Kind of a strange question - Death of a pet

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gingerred

Ok, so this may come across as a strange question, but I've never been in the situation, and with the hibernation attempts Winston has been going through lately, it's been making me think. I hope it doesn't come across as offensive, as that's not my intent.

I've always put pets down in the past and have never had to come home to find that a pet had died. In knowing that one of the major symptoms of hibernation is cold, is it ever possible to confuse severe hibernation with death or vice versa?? Obviously if he's in a ball or moving a little there's no question, but can you have a hibernation attempt so severe that they don't move?? Is it possible for a hedgie to hibernate and not come out of it with heat?? I just want to be prepared for the worst is Winston should have anther attempt after spending last night wondering if he was going to be ok or not.

I've only ever had dogs in the past, and it was easier to tell when it was time to put them down - age, sight, hearing, others things a vet could diagnose, but hedgies seem to be a little harder in this respect. Thanks

Not a strange question at all.

Yes, when they are right into a hibernation attempt they don't move at all and it's just about impossible to even see them breathing. Every single hibernation attempt here hedgie has been in a tight curled quilly ball. I've had varying degrees of movement, from nothing at all, to some that will curl a bit tighter, to soft huffing, but they remain in that quilly ball until they start to warm up.

As they are warming and they start to uncurl we get to feel how cold they really are. It is difficult to believe anything can be that cold and still be alive. Their breath is cold and their body radiates cold.

If hedgie is too far into hibernation and slow warming doesn't bring any response after 45minutes, this is a life and death situation and immediate vet care is needed.

I've had many die, under all different circumstances. I've found some dead in their cage in the morning, completely healthy the night before. I've had ill ones pass on in their cage. Ill ones euthanized. And I've had them pass while laying on me, both ones that have been ill for a while and ones that were a quick death but whom alerted me they were in distress.

Of all the hedgehogs that have passed on, I've never had one in a quilly ball. Those I've been with as they passed have had varying degrees of involuntary quill raising, but never have they gone into a ball. Once they have passed, there is not the muscle movements to make them go into a ball.

Thanks Nancy. I appreciate knowing a bit more what to look for or expect. I'm sad to hear about all of the hedgies you've lost, but I know they also had it pretty good with you too!! :)

Back