Just Curious...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inca-bink

I recently got a little 3 month old ebony mosaic who is supposedly TOV (her name is Troi).

How does TOV affect mosaic chins? Her face and chin are a little darker than the rest of her (which is freakin' adorable with her little pink nose; I attached a pic cause I couldn't help myself), but I know the whites can change a lot as they grow up as well. Can you even tell that a mosaic is TOV?

Thanks for adding to my reserve of personally unapplicable knowledge! :)

Attachments

• PICT0042edit.jpg
    PICT0042edit.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 70
she could be TOV, but it's very hard to tell without breeding. Being a TOV mosaic can affect her markings and how they appear, but honestly, since the white gene tends to mask other colors...you still get random markings. She's probably being called "TOV" just because she has one black velvet parent and some markings on her face.

Some people say you can tell my paw spats or paw stripes, but those are not an indicator of the presence of the TOV gene either. I have multiple standards with paw spats and even some beige...it just happens in some chins.

I'd say she is a regular mosaic. Most of the time you can tell if they are Tov, though I've been stumped in a few cases, particularly with homo pinkwhites.

what are her parents? does she have the paw stripes? (altho i know its not a guarantee) I think she just looks mosaic myself too but you never know...she is cute tho

Mom is a mosaic out of a mosaic and a dark ebony, pa is a TOV md ebony out of a black velvet and a dark ebony according to her pedigree (if I'm reading it correctly).

She doesn't have paw stripes, but the breeder I got her from thought she was probably TOV - maybe because of her mask?

I'm not highly invested in the answer, I love her whatever she is - and I didn't pay extra just because she might be TOV (plus I'm not a breeder). I'm just curious in how her coloration might develop. Willow's darker bits lightened up as she grew, and I read that is pretty common for mosaics. But I also read that the velvets develop darker or more complete veiling as they get older. So I wondered if that interacts in interesting ways at all...

389910784.jpg

389436831.jpg

my tov mosiac
his head, back, and paws are darker than his body..

Oh my... that second picture! His mouth is the happiest chin mouth ever! He's almost like a cartoon, too cute!

She looks like a mosaic, but from her lineage, being TOV is a possibility. There have been TOV whites that do not show Stripes or masking because they are basically predominantly white, so the only way would be to breed. Since you are not planning, I say keep watching and if there are indications of TOV, then you will be settled ;) haha, but she is cute either way. Also from her pedigree you can list her as an ebony carrier because both parents did carry ebony as well.
hope this helped!!!

Back