jumped off the banister onto stairs

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TnkTaingTal

While my chins were playing, I left to use the bathroom. I then realized tainga had escaped. While trying to direct her to go back to her room, she jumped through the bars of the banister and onto the stairs (a far drop). Thankfully, she seems to have landed on her feet and on a level part of the stairs. I looked her over, squeezing and watching her expressions and I'm not seeing any obvious injuries. She didn't want to roll in her dust which concerns me. She's eating. I thought she was babying her right arm, but now it seems she's using it normally, so I may have just been paranoid. The vets not in until 1 tomorrow. Should I bring her or just keep an eye on her? I've read chins can heal on their own if there's a sprain.

I would probably wait and keep an eye on her, personally. If she starts to act funny at all---like different than she usually does, then perhaps you can get her into the vets earlier, but otherwise, and this is just me, I would wait until the vets office is open versus going to emergency.

My vet doesn't have an opening until the 20th (I have an appointment for 10am) Tainga is acting normally, but I am noticing her hold her right arm up frequently. She still uses it to eat and stand on. The vet is in from 5-8 tonight I could go in as a stand by if I think its emergency, but I don't think it is. From what I've read it sounds like the vet wouldn't do anything but let it heal on its own if its not broken. I've also heard of jaw issues after falls, but would she be eating normally if her jaw was injured?

I dont know how long I should keep her from playtime. I've moved her food down to the first level so she doesn't have to jump, but she still jumps up to the top to sit. I'm hoping for some input on more experienced owners. Anything is helpful. Thank you.

if a vet doesnt have an opening for THAT long then you might want to look around at other vets. Where in Pa are you?

Henryville pa, its in the poconos. She's so good with chinchillas and she's good with all animals. I could always go in and be seen between her appointments, but I don't want to do that when its not necessary.

I have no doubt that we've all done it, but you really shouldn't leave chins alone... even for a nanosecond. They're little troublemakers. That's how one of mine wound up with a broken leg a few years ago. I was gone for under a minute. In that time, she managed to get into my closet, climb up a spare cage, slip and fall to the ground.

It's been a few days... how's she doing?

She seems okay. She really wants to play, but I'm worried about her having an injury that I can't see. I let her play for about 15 mins in the hall, small space where there's nothing to jump on, but the little cage that I brought her out in. Of course she was trying to jump up there. Shes still eating fine and holding her one hand up a bit more than usual, but I could just be paranoid.
The room she plays in normally is chin proof, but she slipped out the door, so I guess I can't pee during playtime anymore..

Sorry to hear about your chin. Did you need to amputate?

Last edited:
Well, if her arm or finger is sprained, she probably wouldn't put weight on it or grab anything with it. The benefits to going to the vet would be to get an X-ray and to get her on a low dose of pain meds. Chins are gifted at making us paranoid. Glad she's doing okay! :))

Oh, I missed your last question. No, I didn't need to amputate. Nixi was under a year old and the break was low enough that the vet set the bone and put a splint and a wrap on it. She chewed the wrap off 2-3 each week and racked up quite the vet bill. Ultimately, she healed in 5-6 weeks and has been fine ever since. She just has no fear... that's the real issue.

I'm glad she healed alright! I guess that's why they're so good at making us paranoid, they are fearless! I wouldn't want her on pain meds for a sprain. I wouldn't take it myself and it would make me more worried because pain is what would keep her from using it. If it were something more painful it would be a different story.

As a rule, I'm hesitant to use pain meds as well. For what it's worth, I've given 2 of mine Metacam for short and long periods of time without any adverse effects. When it's a necessity, I'll use it, but I agree that I would wait out a sprain and just keep a close eye on her. Good luck! I hope she heals quickly!

Back