Jinx and Jazmyn. Help with odor!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dani3264

Hi all!

Last week I finally brought my two new baby girls home.. They have been so good! Very friendly and curious and absolutely adorable!!

I had their cage set up with a litter pan with aspen bedding in it and the rest of the cage has fleece liners. They amazed me by using the litter box from day 1 without even me showing it to them. The breeder did not use pans either! I am very proud :)

However, I was under the impression I guess that there was not a lot of odor associated with them. I think I am extra sensitive to smells but I definitely notice an odor and I have been keeping the cage clean :(

In the past week, I have vacuumed up the poo daily. Changed the litter box bedding at least every 2 days. I also changed the fleece liners once so far. I am disappointed to still be able to notice the odor :(

So a few questions..?

1. Does anyone use absorbent liners under their fleece? I do not want to use puppy pads cause I do not want them to start peeing on their fleece. They have small animal cage liners....do they work??

2. I could try using pine bedding instead of aspen to see if that works...

3. I have read something about a supplement (Marshalls) to add to their water to help reduce odor of their waste...anyone have experience with that?

4. I have also briefly heard of some using something called Sweet PDZ..have not done much research yet about it but any experience out there..???

I really love my girls but also do not want a smelly house !!

Any advice appreciated!!

Danielle

With fleece you have to change it at least once a week, some people change it every other day, especially if they are peeing on the fleece at all. The litter pan needs to be changes at least once a day, ideally a couple times a day depending on the size. Just think how often do you flush the toilet? if pee is sitting there it's going to smell like pee. Some chin's pee does smell more then others and some pee more then others and with fleece you will notice the pee smell if they pee on it since fleece will absorb pee but does nothing to deodorize. If it's the poo that smells then there could be a medical problem with the chins, their poop should be nearly odorless. Also chins themselves shouldn't smell either, they don't/can't sweat and pretty much just smell like dust.
As for the questions...
1. I just use more fleece (I made my own pee pads out of fleece) to give it multiple layers to absorb into. Don't use puppy pads or the small pet liners as they are toxic if the chins have any way of accessing them to eat them. Both are designed for or ok to use under a grate so the animal can't get to it. However just changing the fleece daily would accomplish the same and are washable instead of disposable.

2. Pine bedding is fine, and does seem to mask the smell better then aspen.

3. Don't put anything into the chin's water, they need clean water and additives and supplements should never be put into the water since it can decrease water intake. Also I could be wrong but the only supplement from Marshalls I saw was for ferrets, so not going to be safe for a chin. Ferrets are weasels and carnivores, chins are grass herbivore rodents, so something designed for ferrets (or even other rodents) is probably not safe for something with a completely different diet.

4. Sweet PDZ is safe as far as I can tell, there are people that have even used it for years as dust bath for chins (suppose to be better for allergies but doesn't make the chins look as good). I've used Stall Dry with no issue as deodorizer as well, which I think is pretty much the same stuff just different brand.

Thanks for the answer..

I did change the fleece already. When I did, I noted that there were only two tiny wet drops that may have been from pee so I think they are mainly using the box. I could do that a bit more often but wanted to make sure that they remembered/smelled that that was the correct spot to go.

The supplement company does have a small animal one in addition to the ferret product.

Danielle :(

I think you will notice a big difference if you wash the fleece with a vinegar/water mix once a week. Change the litter box once a day and use pine shavings.

I find fleece liners do have an odour as I did try them when I owned 3 chins. I use aspen for all the chins as it is easier for me than liners would be. I do wipe the metal trays down with vinegar after I clean cages.

I have also been using vinegar to wash the cage pans down when I change the liners once a week and that has helped. I also put a little in when washing the fleece. The smell in pet urine usually comes from ammonia (a base) and vinegar (an acid) neutralizes the ammonia. I also have terry cloth on the inside of the fleece liners to wick away the urine to the inside of the cover to help keep the odor down.

Back