jaw stuck on collar

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VolunteerChin22

I <3 dustbunnies
I was checking everyone tonight after I got home from work and found zsa zsa who i put a collar on about 2 days ago had somehow gotten her lower jaw stuck behind the collar - I freed her and shes not bleeding or anything but shes been drooling so I think it was like that for a few hours :( Her mouth looks a little swollen and Im afraid her jaw alignment might be messed up. Shes still moving her lower jaw to grind her teeth but when i hold her up and look from below her front two teeth look a bit farther in front of her lower two. Course I've never really paid attention before so it could be me worried to death. I feel terrible, she has a giant neck so I didnt want to put the collar on too tight but obviously it wasnt tight enough to prevent this...:banghead:

I am going to check her again in the morning and see how it looks - anyone have this happen and what was the outcome (how bad was the injury)?

ETA: I gave her a shreddie to see if she would eat and she ate most of it so hopefully its just swollen and sore and things will be back to normal by tomorrow...

Last edited:
Ive had it happen, as long as it hasnt been too long she should come right out of it... i just had a mom do it the other day, she had trips with her, so i gave her a couple raisens incase her blood suger was low, kinda give her a "jump start" in case she was like that for the whole day.

I've had it happen as well...it happened just last week with one of my larger females...the small collars don't fit her but the big collars are too big and that's what she was in. Her entire mouth was swollen and she was drooling for about 10 minutes after I got the collar off. It's a week later now and she's perfectly fine...she was back to her angry self the day after I got the collar off her too.

I had it happen yesterday with one of my girls and it's also happened here a few times in the past. It's the scariest thing to see because all I can think is that the animal has been deprived of food and water and that they're in pain. I couldn't imagine being in that situation. As long as she's eating and drinking and doesn't show signs of cuts around her mouth, she'll most likely be fine. This is the main reason I hate using collars, but it's the most efficient way because I like to use runs. Our poor babies, the torture we put them through :(

This is the main reason I hate using collars, but it's the most efficient way because I like to use runs. Our poor babies, the torture we put them through

It's the exact reason I won't use collars. Never have, never will. I'm not a mega breeder and I don't care if one male services 6 females in the same week. I'm content to produce fewer kits and move my male around after I confirm pregnancy.

BTW, I've seen females who have had to have a front paw cut off after it got hung up in the collar for days and nobody noticed. I've seen females who have had their necks grow around their collars because they are one size fits some. There will be no collars here.

well i only have three runs (I have several cages of just pairs, to grow out babies, hold males, etc) and i dont want to risk fights with other females...I think I will just be paying more attention to them - I do have regular and xlarge collars to try and accomodate sizes of necks and I dont have that many chins not to notice something for days persay, but of course nothing is fool proof. Just scared me and Im sure it was painful!

im not trying to start crap or anything, i have an honest question because im just wondering thats all...why use collars when you know they are dangerous to the chin and things like this happen to them??? like i said im not trying to stur trouble, just an honest question i had.

its not regular collars, its breeding collars, that you attach around the neck, its not like a dog collar .... it prevents either male or female chins full access to both or more cages...so that the ones without the collars can get away if need be...

so its something like a tie out you'd use on a dog? and you use it in a cage/caged environment? why does that sound more dangerous for the animal then doing them any good?

what im trying to get at is its for safety but yet it causes danger, that why i asked why they use them if there chins get ther jaw stuck on them..i didnt know how to describe them so here they are..

384085172.jpg

ive seen them on in person, they are almost hardly visible because they are the same length or close to the fur length...

It doesnt happen often - this is the first instance Ive had here and was likely due to the fact she would not sit still when I was trying to properly size it, so I thought it was tight enough. It is not something I want to repeat however females fighting/or beating up a male in a run is not acceptable either. I choose to run breed some of my animals because I have found intros can be easier when mom gets to stay near dad in the run and having an escape hole protects the male from angry females. Tons of breeders use collars on hundreds of animals. As stated not everyone likes to use them - some people like to breed in colonies, I dont. Just preferences. It was an accident and I have taken steps to reduce it from happening again.

Blonde they are not for "tying" anything - they function to prevent females from going through a jumphole keeping her in a breeding run cage, while the male (uncollared) can move through the runway on the back of the run and come and go from each portion of the run. The collar is bigger than the hole - imagine if a dog had an elizabethan collar on (one of those dome ones when they get injured) and then attempted to go through a doggie door - same principle. Females often will fight with other females and the male can escape an aggressive female, so when it functions properly it is for the safety of all the chins in the run.

i got it now, thank you for explaining. it at first sounded like it was a type of tie-out you'd use on a dog to prevent them from leaving a cage. but the picture helped thanks :) as cute as babies are, i have all males and never plan on breeding - so i'm not all up to date on the breeding info. :)

I don't know of any equipment that is one 100% sure/safe.

When I was a little girl I had hurt someone's eye farily bad with a pencil, my intention was to help her with a math problem and removed the pencil from her hand and ended up in her eye. It was just a pencil and just wanted to help.

Just to say that things happen even with the best intentions.

I am so glad your chin is fine now.......I am shocked to hear what will happen when using collars....lucky we dont have runs here.

im not trying to start crap or anything, i have an honest question because im just wondering thats all...why use collars when you know they are dangerous to the chin and things like this happen to them??? like i said im not trying to stur trouble, just an honest question i had.

As stated, it's a preference thing. Ranchers have used collars for a bazillion years. Yes, accidents happen, but overall they are okay for them. I just could not face it seeing a chin injured because of a breeding collar. Having a jump isn't the end all and be all to preventing chins from fighting. I've seen plenty of chins killed in run breeding, especially when the female slips her collar and gets in the other cages killing babies and females. It's not an automatic guarantee that the male won't get beat up. I know of someone who lost the her male as well as several female chins in the line because a female slipped her collar and killed them all.

I guess I'd rather risk a pair than an entire line of chins. Again, personal preference.

Back