Is wood that's green under the bark okay?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinchilla63

I just noticed some of the twigs (apple and pear, came from a reputable source) are greenish. Does this mean it wasn't properly dried or is it okay?
Thanks.
Lee

I have run into that as well and would like to know the answer...
I have always thrown the green ones away just in case....

It might not be completely dried out, but if you're worried about it I wouldn't toss them, I'd just put them in the oven to bake. Do around 150-200 degrees or so for 15-30min. I just check on them often so they don't over bake and burn.

The problem is I don't know till they've chewed them, and then I can't tell if it's the apple or the pear twigs once the bark is off. Maybe I can give them all of one kind for a day or two to figure out which ones are green.

Sounds like wood that was harvested in the season while the tree had leaves. No need to worry. When I harvest applewood I will give the chins some fresh un-cured twigs right off the tree after I have washed it. About twice a year I do that. And no more then a couple inch of raw wood.

Don't worry about the green unless you see your wood mold over. Then the wood was not fully dried in the oven. And throw it out. You will know the difference between green wood and mold. Mold happens fast!

If the green bothers you then just do the low bake. I bake at 200 degrees for 15 mins and turn off the oven off. Leave the wood in the oven. When the oven is cool then repeat until its dry. A scrape of your nail or knive along the wood will tell you its done for bigger pieces. If will be difficult to scrape. While twigs will crunch when slightly bent.
Hope this helps.

Thank you, that's very helpful. Is there a limit to how much they should have of the green wood, or do you mean you limit the amount of fresh wood they have?

I will try to post a photo later tonight after I clean the cage, if any of the green twigs are in there.

I have a big box of twigs, I'd rather not have to dry them all if I don't have to. If the green wood is unhealthy for them I'll definitely do it, but if it's safe then I'd just as soon skip it.

If it is mold, the green will be fuzzy and may have white to it. It looks like a growth of fuzz, if it is moldy.

I find different types of apple or pear wood will be different in color for bark, some with a slightly more yellow-ish brown color to the bark (again depending on the type of pear wood. I have about four different types of pear trees.) or greyish brown in color, whether dried or not.

Mcintosh apple wood seems to be more a dark reddish brown color in color for bark, whereas the yellow transparent apple tree wood, seems to have more of a greenish brown color to the bark(I've noticed the difference as I have had my pick of different apple trees.). There are other apple trees too, where the bark is slightly different in color.

If you are worried, you can just bake it a bit longer though. Sometimes the wood will be green if it hasn't been baked properly.

If you're talking about the actual wood itself and not just the bark, then it is more than likely it wasn't thoroughly baked and might need to be baked a bit longer.

The main reason we scrub boil and bake is to a. Get dirt off and b. kill parasites and bacteria. If the wood was boiled before baking you dont really have to worry at all if it was baked just not quite enough to be 100% dry your still prob good but since you say you have a big box of it I would spread it out some where to get a bit more air if it's not quite dry like mentioned above mold happens quickly and where I live right now the humidity is through the roof, I try to avoid wood processing when I can when it's this humid, often wood is 'dry' and then molds any how because of the humidity when it comes out of the oven

Quick note. I keep my finished wood in a brown paper bag opened. To answer the green wood amount. Like I stated: I only harvest a couple times a year. And I'll give them a washed 2 inch raw stick. So twice a year is the answer. I don't boil my wood. Never have.

Back