Is this serious?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pixie66

Hi All,

We noted a small but weird lump on Chino's belly. He had not objected when I lightly touched it so I guess it doesn't hurt (much?). No noticeable deterioration in his mood / behavior / eating / weight. Lately his brother is chasing him all over the cage (two story critter nation with lots of shelves, two houses and a wheel)., but it does not look like a chinchilla bite... more like an insect bite. But they live at home, no other pets. I am attaching a picture and a zoom-in. Chino is about 3.5 years old and the two brothers have been with us about two years now.

Any idea what this is? Can we wait several days to see what's evolving or should we try getting to see a vet tomorrow?

Thanks
O.

Attachments

• 20201130_194043.jpg
    20201130_194043.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20201130_194043Zoomin.jpg
    20201130_194043Zoomin.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 12
It looks like he hurt one of his nipples (yes males have nipples too). My guess is maybe him or his brother bit it when grooming. If it doesn't seem to be bothering him I don't think you need to rush him in, but I would get an appointment to get it looked at by the vet to make sure it's not infected. If it gets worse before the appointment though try to get him seen sooner.

Take a cotton ball with hydrogen peroxide on it and rub the area. Do this three or four times until the area is clean. Then take a q-tip with some triple antibiotic on it and apply it to the wound. It's best to do this in the morning as he will probably sleep during the day and leave it undisturbed. Do not let him take a dust bath for about a week. Repeat this procedure at least twice a day more if possible. You should notice an improvement in two to three days.

Thank you! I will keep it in mind. For now I can update that he seems totally healed - thanks to all of you that care and try to help.

Back